BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
comments to an article in the past should appear as today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: comments to an article in the past should appear as today Reply with quote

i just posted a comment to an article in May and the comment is dated today but does not bubble up to the main page but rather appears to stay linked to the original posting date in May. can we get it to post as today and bubble up to the main page? thx
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: comments to an article in the past should appear as toda Reply with quote

Comments do not bubble up to the main page, only articles bubble up. We use the term bubble up to describe the ability to have an article appear on a parent category as well as the child category to which the article is posted. So if you post an article to a sub category and choose the Bubble up to higher categories checkbox, it will also appear on the parent category.

Comments also do not alter the Publish date, so posting a comment to an article will not make an article published in the past appear at the top of your weblog. So if you want to have an article published in the past move to the top of a category as the most recently published item, you as the blog admin would need to reset its Publish date.
cd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand the definitions and purposes of bubble up and publish date and in the case of comments i disagree with how you are handling them in both regards.

if the article was deemed appropriate to bubble up then the comments should also. otherwise any ongoing discussion gets lost and blog visitiors will never know what & where the hot discussions are. the "recent comments" component provides too little information to be really useful.

i am not asking for the articles post date to change but rather for comments to carry their own post dates and not be bound to the original post. think of how your forums work. one can easily see where the recent & hot discussions of interest are. in blogharbor they are buried and know one will ever know. the point of the blog is community of users and interest. in order to generate this visitors need to know what is happening in this community.

i am also interested in a way to link or create a meta group of articles and share that meta view. this could be very helpful when researching a given topic and "growing" different perspectives on a topic.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with your statement that there could be a better way than the Recent Comments component to find out where the hot topics are...

cd wrote:
if the article was deemed appropriate to bubble up then the comments should also.

What do you mean exactly, help me to understand what behavior you are looking for. Do you mean that a comment by a user should move up in the hierarchy and become an article on your Main Page?

Blogs work differently from a discussion forum such as this one; on a discussion forum you could say that everyone is equal and everyone can post to the same level in the hierarchy. On a blog, the admin or publisher (or someone given this permission) is the only one who can post at the top (or article) level of the hierarchy.

You mentioned i am not asking for the articles post date to change but rather for comments to carry their own post dates and not be bound to the original post. In our model, and as far as I know the model of all blog software, comments do have their own post dates but they are bound to the article which they refer to.

cd wrote:
i am also interested in a way to link or create a meta group of articles and share that meta view. this could be very helpful when researching a given topic and "growing" different perspectives on a topic.

The only way this would be possible at this time would be to link articles by having them appear in the same category.
cd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that those with posting permissions should have articles bubble up and that would exclude many of those who comment.

Could you extend the recent comments component with a link to a page with all of the recent comments that one has access to?

for meta articla linking categories don't cut it. there could be articles that are related to each other that could be easily grouped together via a meta linking or packaging function but in your category implementation is very difficult. one can select multiple categories for any given article and that is useful for a direct path into a given category topic. however this is not the same as packaging or linking specific collecitons of articles together in a less direct path. this would be useful for us to share research that touches spans several categories.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd wrote:
for meta articla linking categories don't cut it.

I am not really sure what you mean by "meta article linking". Any examples of websites that use this concept? Can you explain how you might see this working on your weblog, how users would see it and how you would create or control it?

cd wrote:
Could you extend the recent comments component with a link to a page with all of the recent comments that one has access to?

Yes, you can. One thing that is really interesting, is that the Web Page type of post, unlike the article type of post, does allow access to the variables and macro language used by components.

That means you can create your own page that lists all of the comments that the reader has access to.

Go to the Post tab then click on the Web Page subtab in the Options row. Now enter the following code as the content of the article (if you are using the Rich Text Editor, you might need to disable it to make sure that the raw HTML you need to post is handled correctly; disable it from the Settings tab):

Code:
<div class="articleTitle">Recent Comments</div>

{{loop name=blog.recent_comments limit=25}}
<div class="componentRecentCommentsItem">
<a href="{{permalink_url}}">{{if title}}{{title}}{{else}}Untitled{{/if}}</a><br>
{{if author}}
    {{var name=author escape=html}}
{{else}}
   Anonymous
{{/if}}
<br>
{{publish_time}}

<blockquote>
{{body}}
</blockquote>

</div>
{{/loop}}

The above code will list the 25 most recent comments on the board and link to them. The following code will also include the full text of the comment:

Code:
<div class="articleTitle">Recent Comments</div>

{{loop name=blog.recent_comments limit=25}}
<div class="componentRecentCommentsItem">
<a href="{{permalink_url}}">{{if title}}{{title}}{{else}}Untitled{{/if}}</a><br>
{{if author}}
    {{var name=author escape=html}}
{{else}}
   Anonymous
{{/if}}
<br>
{{publish_time}}

<blockquote>
{{body}}
</blockquote>

</div>
{{/loop}}
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: