BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Validation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Validation Reply with quote

I've been running my site through the validator trying to fix a display issue, and I noticed something. I had to switch my doctype to XHTML transitional (not the blogware default) in order to make a photo border effect work.

Because of this, my site attempts to validate as XHTML and of course returns over 200 errors. Mostly it's markup issues in the realm of uppercase tags and non encoded ampersands. I'm not really concerned about it, but I went back to the control panel and switched off the rich text editor. I noticed that without it on, markup tags display how you choose, but when it is on, they convert to uppercase, no matter how you enter them.

My posts are turning into, "Isn't that strange" ordeals lately, but it might interest somebody. Personally, if I want to work towards complete validation, I'm going to have to start posting in raw HTML, or write a small program to convert anything between < > to lowercase.

In other news, I hope John is well compensated.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Validation Reply with quote

I think switching the doctype to XHTML might have been coincidental. My guess is you made some other change to make it work; I just saved your page locally and removed the doctype and the border effect worked fine... I tried the drop shadow technique you described and had no problem making it work, see these two articles:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/7/1/98378.html
http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/5/22/74667.html

The drop shadows used on the screenshots on both of these articles are from the CSS technique you pointed out in your article. I did remove the padding around the image, that seems to look better for screen captures.

Kyle93815 wrote:
I noticed that without it on, markup tags display how you choose, but when it is on, they convert to uppercase, no matter how you enter them.

Hmm... I just tested this and I don't see it happening....
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said that without switching the doctype, the border goes away. The shadow effect will remain, but the border goes away.

Apparently the default doctype for blogware is "quirks" mode. If you can leave the default doctype and still get borders and shadow, then that's pretty interesting. I can't make it happen.

I'm currently using the following doctype, suggested by the web design team at my work:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Apparently adding the url at the end removes quirks mode and things render correctly. And also it's supposed to be more appropriate for the page source, which is HTML, not XHTML. But I honestly don't know much about all of that. But I changed to that, and made a few changes (like adding alt tags to all of my images) and now my page validates as HTML 4.01, which is something.

What I meant about the markup tags is that I'll write what I want in the rich text editor, and then switch to source view. It shows my tags in uppercase, so I'll retype them in lowercase, but when I save and then go back, it has replaced them with uppercase. Could be I'm just crazy, haha.
nadezhda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: No, you're not crazy Reply with quote

And it's quite irritating. I get 95% done in an HTML editor, then want to make a few tiny corrections, and the rich editor in BlogHarbor overrides everything if I preview. It would be very nice if everything were in lowercase.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No, you're not crazy Reply with quote

The Rich Text Editor is intended for users with little or no HTML experience, and it enables them to post much more complex and visually appealing articles than they would have been able to do without it.

If you wish to have finer control over your HTML, then the best thing to do would be to disable the Rich Text Editor... You can do so from the Settings tab in the control panel, look on the right side in the Miscellaneous section for the Enable rich-text editor checkbox. Uncheck it, and click Save Settings.

The deeper your knowledge of HTML is, the more likely it is that you will want to turn off the Rich Text Editor.
nadezhda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I'd somehow not realized there were separate settings for the comments section and the author section. I got rid of the rich text editor and am a happy woman!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: