BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
blogharbor is down hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: blogharbor is down hard Reply with quote

our blog and every other blog on your web site are completely inaccessible. there is no phone support, and even rackshare doesn't answer their phones, just vm. this is really bad support should a situation like this arise. first, what is going on with all of our blogs? second, when will they be back? third, can't you have at least one person answering phones or providing live chat via your web site? fourth, there isn't even someone to answer the email i sent over a half hour ago! this is really ridiculous.

ps - obviously your web site and forums are not using the same servers and internet connections as our blogs and they are up and running fine, hence my post. why is that?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd wrote:
our blog and every other blog on your web site are completely inaccessible. there is no phone support, and even rackshare doesn't answer their phones, just vm. this is really bad support should a situation like this arise. first, what is going on with all of our blogs? second, when will they be back? third, can't you have at least one person answering phones or providing live chat via your web site? fourth, there isn't even someone to answer the email i sent over a half hour ago! this is really ridiculous.

Our apologies for being down this morning, there was a hardware failure of a part which was not being monitored. That is being rectified. We can also see that our problem reporting system needs to be upated - we're working on it.

Yes, we admit that email sent at 6:55 AM is not likely to receive a reply within 30 minutes. You did however, receive a reply within approximately 60 minutes which I am sure you will confirm to be true.

We do not provide support 24/7, which is why you were unable to get a response from us at 6:55 AM this morning. We do try to offer you prompt responses to your inquiries during normal business hours. As I am sure you will confirm, we generally provide detailed and prompt support way beyond 'normal business hours' and our database indicates that we handle 99% of our support requests within 24 hours.

As our service expands, we will indeed explore additional means of supporting our customers.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience caused by the outage this morning.

cd wrote:
ps - obviously your web site and forums are not using the same servers and internet connections as our blogs and they are up and running fine, hence my post. why is that?

No conspiracy, the forums and the main www.blogharbor.com site require CGI, perl, mysql, cron, php and other backend technologies which are simply not available as part of the BlogHarbor service so are hosted on a different server. While blogs are great and suited for many applications, they are not yet suitable for all applications.

Last edited by john on Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
cd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a BIG supporter of Blogharbor and am very appreciative of your replys during "normal business hours." that is not what this is about. all the blogs went down hard and frankly it is not unreasonable for you guys to have someone who gets paged if your servers go down. this is very important for our blog and for us to be able to promote blogharbor to our constituency. you guys are our isp and it is appropriate for us to expect it to be up 24/7 just as we would expect from any other isp.

BIG supporter. important issues.

thx!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd - Thanks for your support, it is greatly appreciated.

I was strictly referring to your ability to get an email support reply "24/7" in my original post, not whether or not we expect to have the system available 24/7. Of course there were a number of system admins' pagers that went off this morning. We do strive for the service to be high- availablity and as such there is a network monitoring system in place that did kick in this morning and alert system administrators, who brought the system back up.

Unfortunately, the monitoring process did not kick in fast enough, the admins were not alerted soon enough, and the system was down longer than it should have been. Additionally, we need to institute a more efficient system to bring you information when something has occurred. We try to learn from our mistakes, and are working to solve both of these issues.

Thanks for your understanding.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: