BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ecosystem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Third Party
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sifter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Ecosystem Reply with quote

"The TTLB Blogosphere Ecosystem is an application which scans weblogs once daily and generates a list of weblogs ranked by the number of incoming links they receive from other weblogs on the list."

Sounds a bit dry? Possibly, but the piece of code you get for your site is very neat - a little classification from "Higher Being" down to "Insignficant Microbe"... (guess which one I am !!)

>> http://www.truthlaidbear.com/ecosystem.php

Have implemented the code on my blog, if you want to see (bottom right):
http://thewiredjester.blogware.com
abacquer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Ecosystem Database Accuracy? Reply with quote

As near as I can tell the "truth laid bear" ecosystem is dependent on a database of speculative accuracy. I have a significant number of incoming links on my site, but my site doesn't appear in the list because I (a) never physically entered my site into the list and (b) most of my incoming links are from sites which are also not entered into the TTLB database.

Doesn't really sound like it is worth it as a means for representing blog popularity. The "Daily Visits" information, for example, comes from SiteMeter... another site you have to sign up with if you want that information in their database. BlogHarbor tells me I had 661 visits last night, but SiteMeter doesn't know who I am.
Sifter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ecosystem Database Accuracy? Reply with quote

abacquer wrote:
As near as I can tell the "truth laid bear" ecosystem is dependent on a database of speculative accuracy. I have a significant number of incoming links on my site, but my site doesn't appear in the list because I (a) never physically entered my site into the list and (b) most of my incoming links are from sites which are also not entered into the TTLB database.

Sure, I see your point. TTLB *is* mostly dependent on links from others within the Ecosystem, and as a result, it's not a world-spanning, all encompasing, super-accurate ranking system. But then, we have Google and the other search engines for that. TTLB is more fun - it's a slightly frivolous and off beat way of representing link data. However, I do think it's grounded in fact - if you look at the people who are "higher beings" in the system, they are blogs like Engadget and Boing Boing, who are really popular and massive. At the end of the day, it's just a bit of fun, and fair enough, it may not be your thing...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Third Party All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: