BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CNAME

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: CNAME Reply with quote

This may be the wrong topic area to post this, but...

I don't know much about DNS, etc. I'm wondering if you are able to change the cname for your domain to point to your blog, why would you even need to pay for a web host?

I mean, would you need to? I'm currently paying for one now, but I see that GoDaddy offers to change the cname for parked domains. Why am I paying for a host service if the domain register can change the cname?

I might just be confused somehow.

Hopefully somebody can understand what I just typed.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CNAME Reply with quote

OK, I will take a stab at trying to answer this...

Do you mean that you pay for a traditional hosting service for some domain (www.example.com) and you are wondering why you wouldn't just set a blog up here and use the ability to CNAME a hostname to use the www.example.com address for your blog?

Let me know if this is the correct question to answer, and I will have a go at it. Wink
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think you've got it exactly!

I already had a host before I ever had a blog. So I'm stuck with the host for a while. But, I guess I wasn't aware that you could change the cname through your domain registrar. I thought only a host could do that.

It just seems like I'm paying the host for nothing, since the blog service gives me the server space for my blog.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of domain registration services which can do some DNS for you, like allowing CNAME entries. In your case, if your blog does everything you need, then you may not need to continue using a 'traditional' host as well.

If you do not need to install your own CGI scripts, which would be one of the few things that a hosted weblog would not be capable of, then you probably can do without the other host and set your domain name to be your weblog address. There are a number of weblogs here that use their own domain as the primary address. Some also use a subdomain address: they continue their www.example.com address but create their blog at blog.example.com.

We can do DNS for our users of upgraded blogs, contact us if you require this service. Our company Rackshare is recommended for registering domains, but it is not required that you use us for domain registration.
Bryanska

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Totally painless transition Reply with quote

To follow up on this, I transferred over from a traditional host where I was running MovableType.

My registrar, domainmonger, let me change the CNAME record to point to 'users.blogharbor.com'. Now, when I type in my old URL, it whisks me to the BlogHarbor site. I did it on a Friday, though, so it took a day or two to transfer.

This is a terrific feature. It brought me in from the cold, where I was struggling to make sense of a free MT installation in my spare time.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Totally painless transition Reply with quote

Thanks for the followup. It is pretty simple to use your own domain or subdomain for your blog, you will need us to make a change on our side to ensure that your blog responds to the CNAME address, but it's a pretty painless process. Just contact us with information about the domain you want to use and we will help make that your blog's address.
joegrundy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: ...more on domain mapping Reply with quote

I have a domain registered which I'd like to use. I tried to use Typepad but that requires that I have to log-in to my hosting company and change the CNAME. I tried to do this but couldn't get at the CNAME (I understand some hosting companies don't allow this) so gave up and went back to Blogger which simply FTPs your blog up to the host.
I'm now trying-out BlogHarbor and really like it, but am concerned that I will have similar problems trying to use my domain. Any thoughts...?
--
Cheers
Mark (joegrundy)
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was previously on TypePad and had some problems when I first tried to set up their site with one company (Go Daddy I think it was). I then went with PairNIC because of their domain parking thing and it worked great when I set it up that way (on TypePad that is).

I have had no problems with BlogHarbor, administration sets it up for you and it was a completely painless transition. You should switch, it's a great place to call home!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ...more on domain mapping Reply with quote

Yes, you would need to create a CNAME record for your domain. I can't see why any hosting company would allow you to create an A record but not a CNAME; that seems strange.

If you are absolutely unable to create a CNAME, we could teach you how to create an A record (not preferred but will work) or we might be able to do your DNS for you and create the records on your behalf as a last resort.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heidigoseek wrote:
I have had no problems with BlogHarbor, administration sets it up for you and it was a completely painless transition. You should switch, it's a great place to call home!

That's a very nice thing to hear! Very Happy We may want to quote you on that! Wink
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will stand by it to. I'm amazed at the incredible level of quick and quality customer service you have. It made it an easy decision to switch over to your service. Very Happy
pembeci

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. When I started looking for a blog host, first I checked blogger. Free yes, but too restrictive for my goals. Then I discovered TypePad. I really like its interface and features. But when I began developing my blog, I began to hit some walls Mad . They have categories, great, but not sub-categories. You have to pay more to have access to the complete HTML etc. I continued shopping, somehow found BlogHarbor and felt blessed instantly when I checked the features and the control panel. Later seeing that the customer service was great too was another bonus. I'm still discovering what I can do with my blog and become amazed more every day.

(OK, John, what about making the first month free after this post? Wink )
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome, thanks for the kind words. Of course, no one coming in to this forum for the first time will believe we didn't write these mails ourselves. Laughing

pembeci wrote:
(OK, John, what about making the first month free after this post?

OK, there is the clue that we didn't post that message!

Seriously, thanks again. We'll keep working hard to make sure you're getting the best blogging service!
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pembeci, your blogging quest sounds exactly like mine! I started in Blogger, looked for something more power, switched to TypePad and became frustrated with the limited amount of flexibility it had. I just happened across BlogHarbor looking for an answer to my TypePad questions and thought I would give it a try.

One notable difference between the customer service here to TypePad is when I have hit some roadblocks here I've got at least some reassurance from john that they would look into making things work in the future. Whenever I put questions into TypePad, all I got back was, "you can't do that" and end of story.

I found way more space, excellent customer service, and all for a cheaper price. I would say it's an incredible bargain! Keep up the excellent work john!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: