BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Three Blogs All Messed Up Administratively

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petergilman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Three Blogs All Messed Up Administratively Reply with quote

I'm trying to run three Blogware blogs simultaneously
but gaining access to any of them is all messed
up. It's a problem I need to talk through with a
BlogHarbor representative but they seem to be
very resistant to providing a phone number.
Do others have the same problem?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Three Blogs All Messed Up Administratively Reply with quote

First, the issue of administering three blogs simultaneously. The most important question you need to answer when administering multiple blogs is: Do I wish to use the same identity when posting to these multiple blogs?

If I have two blogs for example, let's say a corporate blog where I want my posts to be attributed to "John" but another blog I use to talk about my hobby of DJ-ing at the local clubs. At the DJ blog I want my identity to be "Jazzy DJ Kool John"...

In this case, the answer is that I would not want to have both blogs managed by the same user account, since I would not want my posts on the corporate blog attributed to "Jazzy DJ Kool John" or vice versa. I would sign up for my trial blog as a New User to create a new username and password which will be used to create a new account for administering the second blog.

When I want to login to make a post on Blog A, if I am logged in as the owner of Blog B, I will need to log out of the admin control panel. That is necessary as you can not be logged in as 2 users at once. If you are experiencing issues where you go to click on "Post New Entry" or something like that and you find you are looking at the Admin page of Blog B, and you want to be posting a new entry for Blog A, then you will need to click the LOGOUT button at the top of the page. That is something we can not change, this system and most web-based interfaces can only recognize you as one identity, so if you want it to recognize you as another identity you will need to log out and log back in as the owner of the other blog.

If on the other hand, I have 2 separate blogs and one is about my DJ business and one is about my music reviews, I might prefer that both blogs are authored by my "Jazzy DJ Kool John" persona.

In this case, I would sign up as an Existing User when I create my trial blog for the second account. Now, both blogs are owned by my one user account. When I login to the admin control panel, I will see a drop down list with the blogs manageable under the account. So instead of having to logout and log back in as a different user when I want to manage the second or third blog, I would just have to choose the blog I want to manage from the drop down menu and then the interface would change and you would then be managing the other blog.

I hope this helps to explain the issues with respect to managing multiple blogs. Unfortunately, there's really nothing we can do about the issue of requiring you to Logout and log back in if you want to manage multiple blogs using multiple accounts when using the web interface. You may find posting using weblogging client tools such as BlogJet with our service more convenient in this scenario.

Of course, if you have 2 blogs that are being managed by different accounts and you wish to consolidate them, then contact us and we will assist you in merging them. Conversely you can also split blogs you are managing from being managed by one account into being managed by separate accounts if you would prefer, just contact us and we will be glad to help.

As for the issue of us being resistant to providing a phone number, at this time we simply do not offer telephone support for the BlogHarbor service. We do offer what we feel to be prompt and thorough support via email and also through this channel. I do know that we replied to an email you sent this morning within 34 minutes. While we can not always be that fast, 99.9% of all email inquiries receive a response within 24 hours, and I think we compare favorably to almost any company in this industry with respect to providing excellent support and treating our users fairly and with respect.

I must make this one thing clear, however: it is not my actual hobby to DJ at the local clubs, and if it was, I would not use the name of Jazzy DJ Kool John.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: