BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My favorites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatPatten

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: My favorites Reply with quote

I am completely new to blogging. When I created my blog it seems to have generated a list of other blogs as "My Favorites". How can I delete these sites and add new ones?
Onisac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Here's waht to do Reply with quote

Do the following:

1. Log into the Admin Control Panel.

2. Click the “Favorites” tab. You will see a list of the “Favorites” at the bottom of the page. Find the one named “Favorite Blogs” (something like that) and click the “edit” tab to the left. On the next page you will see a listing of the links for the “Favorite Blogs” at the bottom of that page. Delete them.

3. On the same page, you will see the name of the “Favorite” in the box on the left. Change the name in “Title” to what you want and change the name to “Tag” to a similar name. Note that “tag” will not accept spaces while “Title” will. (i.e. if you want to put a site with links to computers you can put “My Favorite Computer Sites” in the “Title” but would just put “computer” in the Tag. Only the “Title” shows on your blog. Not on the left a box under the heading “Add URL”. There you will add URL’s for that particular “Favorite”.

4. To add more “Favorites” go back to the “Favorites” main tab at the top of the page. Under “Create a Favorites” list a title under “Title” for a new “Favorites”. (Again, you may have spaces between words here). Make the “Tag” name one word (i.e. no spaces). Under “Description” copy the following HTML code (use the right click copy and paste function. It is easier):

{{loop favorites.urls}}

<a href="{{url}}"

{{if description}}

title="{{var name=description escape=html}}"

{{/if}}

{{if target}}

target="{{target}}"

{{/if}}

>

{{var name=title escape=html}}</a></div>

{{/loop}}

5. Click the “Create Favorites” button and you are all set. You can make as many as you want.

6. Finally, go to the “Look & Feel” section (tab at top) and stay in the “Layout Manager – Columns” section. You should see your new “Favorite” (labeled fav: your name) in the “Inactive” column. Drag and drop it to the column in which you want to place it. You can also place it anywhere in that column.

Hope that helps. Not as tough as it sounds.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Here's waht to do Reply with quote

Onisac-

Great post, thanks for sharing!

I should point out that in step 4 , you don't need the code:

Code:
{{loop favorites.urls}}

<a href="{{url}}"

{{if description}}

title="{{var name=description escape=html}}"

{{/if}}

{{if target}}

target="{{target}}"

{{/if}}

>

{{var name=title escape=html}}</a></div>

{{/loop}}

Also, around Step 5 you can start adding links to your favorites list: Enter links in the Add URL area in the top left box. All you really need to enter are Title and URL, then click the Add URL button.

Thanks again Onisac, good stuff.
Onisac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
You don't need the code? I kept getting an error message unless I put it. What was I doing wrong?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What error message were you receiving and where were you receiving it (i.e. did you see this error message when in the control panel updating the Favorites list or was it seen when you load your blog page itself)?

I just experimented creating a few different favorites lists. I left the Description field blank and I did not receive any errors... Title and Tag name are required, but you can leave Description blank.
Maldenite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Favorites Reply with quote

I found it difficult to figure how to make a favorites link. It finally was found in this forum. I believe the "how to" section in the "help" should do a much better explanation of managing a new "favorites". Thanks to the user that explained the way to add the code necessary for the favorite to be used.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Favorites Reply with quote

You are correct, there is currently no section on the user manual on this topic. We'll work on getting some additional documentation for the favorites lists as soon as we can.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: