BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Running cgi script on your blog.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pembeci

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Running cgi script on your blog. Reply with quote

Is that possible?

At least, can we run a cgi-script which is re-directing to a page? This is not too much different than using cgi to send a mail (which is allowed) as far as I know (which is not much).
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Running cgi script on your blog. Reply with quote

It is not possible to use CGI scripts on your blog site. The CGI script we created to send yourself the results of a form submission does not reside on your weblog, but on another server we created specifically to provide you with additional tools for your weblog.

What kind of redirection are you looking to do? Did you know that if you upload an HTML page to your blog via the File Manager, that page can be served by your blog?

So if you uploaded a file named index.html to the top of the file system of your blog, that page would be served as your home page... If you needed to do specific redirects, you could do them via meta-tag redirects rather than CGI-based redirects.
pembeci

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What kind of redirection are you looking to do?

I thought it may be nice to allow blog readers to search external pages from a sidebar component. For instance, you are reading a story about Cat Stevens and from the sidebar you can search Google news or the blogosphere for Cat Stevens. I also have a more specific usage in mind. Since the current search component doesn't support non-english characters, I can redirect such searches to google limiting the search to my site.

Does javascript work with forms?

Or can we have a generic search component where we can read the input from a variable and specify the target html based on that?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some Javascript that works with forms... I am not a Javascript guru so I am afraid I can't offer any advice here.

pembeci wrote:
Or can we have a generic search component where we can read the input from a variable and specify the target html based on that?

At first I had no idea what you meant here, but I am wondering if you are looking for a way to have one search box with radio buttons for example, Search this Blog, Search the Web, etc. Then the action of the form would change depending on which button was selected?

That I would not know how to do, but I know where I would start looking:

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/53/

I've had good luck before finding Javascript snippets on this site...

Let me know if this reply has nothing to do with the question you asked, and I will be glad to try again!
pembeci

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At first I had no idea what you meant here, but I am wondering if you are looking for a way to have one search box with radio buttons for example, Search this Blog, Search the Web, etc. Then the action of the form would change depending on which button was selected?

Exactly. A pulldown menu instead of radio buttons will even preserve more space. I didn't know that forms can be used with Javascript too. So this will solve the problem. Thanks.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool idea. Post here if you get it set up, I'd love to see it if you're able to put one together.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: