BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Center my blog!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Center my blog! Reply with quote

How can I make my blog centered in the page, like BlogHarbor? I know it must involve changing the table percentages, but I'm lost.

Please help!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Center my blog! Reply with quote

Interesting question... Technically speaking, all of the existing weblog templates are already centered on the page. Since the blog templates are designed to use the full width of the page, you do not have to worry about centering the main table.

On the BlogHarbor template, what we did - for purely aesthetic reasons - was not to go full width but to use the main table at a maximum of 750 pixels and then center that on the page.

To achieve the same effect, try this:

1. Login to your Blog Admin Control Panel through the Login page.

2. Click on the Look and Feel tab, then the Templates subtab.

3. Now you see a list of the Templates you can customize. We are going to customize the style template, which controls the CSS or Cascading Style Sheet, so click Edit in the row that begins with the word style.

4. Now you'll be on a page listing the current Styles, go all the way to the bottom and click the Customize button.

5. You'll come to the page where you can customize the CSS. Sorry it took so long to get here, we will work on making it easier to get to. The top box contains the CSS used to create the current style. It can not be modified, but you can add your own custom styles in the bottom box. Your custom styles can be new CSS classes which you will use in your articles or in your custom base template, or they can override aspects of the existing classes. In this example, we are going to override the style of the main table... Enter the following code exactly into the bottom box and click on the Save CSS button:
    Code:
    table.columns {
       width: 750px;
       margin-left:auto;
       margin-right:auto;
    }

Your main table should now be 750 pixels wide and centered on the page!

Last edited by john on Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked perfectly. Thanks John!
cr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: So now how do you center it? Reply with quote

So after you change the width of the blog, how do you center it on the page?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: So now how do you center it? Reply with quote

The code above both sets the width and centers the 750 pixels of content in the page. if you don't want to center the blog, then leave out the margin-left and margin-right lines, as they are actually what centers the content.

In that case, you would just use this:
Code:
table.columns {
   width: 750px;
}
cr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied and pasted the code exactly and it did not center the blog. The blog is on the left still. That is why I asked.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you let us know the address to your blog it would help us to help you. Or if you would rather not state it publicly, you could send a support request.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated instructions for centering your blog have been posted here. These updated instructions do compensate for a bug in Internet Explorer which caused the problem the previous poster reported, that the main table was fixed in width but not centered on the page.
Connected

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't have a templates tab in look&feel-I have two tabs: colors and layouts. How do I edit my CSS?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All blogs should have template editing enabled... Please contact us and send us your blog address so we can look into why it was not enabled for your blog.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: