BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
questions about upgrading with a new domain name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: questions about upgrading with a new domain name Reply with quote

If I upgrade with a new domain name, I am wondering what my new url's will look like.

When I build HTML pages in the files manager section, and I set up sub-categories, my url looks like this:

example.blogharbor.com/category/newpage.html

So if I upgrade to a new domain name, will my url look like this?

www.example.com/category/newpage.html

or does it have to look like this:

blog.example.com/category/newpage.html ???

Also, what if I have many subdomains already on my domain name? Will they work with the blog too? For example:

subdomain1.example.com/blog-category/
subdomain2.example.com/blog-category/
etc...

Or do you have to host the blog at just one domain name, such as www.?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about upgrading with a new domain name Reply with quote

If you use your own domain name with your blog instead of our domain name, your addresses would simply swap out example.blogharbor.com and replace it with your own hostname (example.com is a domain name and www.example.com is called a hostname). You could use www.example.com or,for example, blog.example.com. We can configure your blog to respond to as many as three domains, with only one acting as the primary address (the one that appears in the browser address bar).

If you upload static files via the File Manager and can see them at example.blogharbor.com/directory/newpage.html, then when you use your domain name you will be able to see them at www.example.com/directory/newpage.html.

If you can see a category of your blog at example.blogharbor.com/blog/Category/, then with your domain name they would be seen at www.example.com/blog/Category/.
artatcomo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure about this concept of domain names. I own the domain www.comopark.us. Can someone buy the domain comopark.us without the www part? When I enter comopark.us it seems to be offered for sale. When I enter comopark.com with or without the www it takes me to the same site. To "own" a name do you need to pay for both variations?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art - This is a domain name:

comopark.us

and that is what you own (technically it's more like a lease, but that's an issue for another day).

As the owner of the domain name, you and only you can control what goes to the left of the domain. These addresses are called hostnames, and you can control what happens to any and all names that end in .comopark.us.

So www.comopark.us is yours, blog.comopark.us is yours, this.is.yours.too.comopark.us is yours as well. Your hosting provider can help you control what happens when Internet users access any of those addresses.

The only reason that access to http://comopark.us/ shows a generic page is that your hosting provider did not configure the domain correctly; speak with them and they should be able to have that address also point to your website at http://www.comopark.us/ .
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: