BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fonts driving me nuts!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mke1963

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Fonts driving me nuts!!!!! Reply with quote

I am having *real* difficulties getting consistent font sizes, and it is driving me nuts.
I made the mistake of actually actively setting the Font (Tahoma) and Font Size (X-small) to a number of new posts, and now see that the font size changes a lot. It looks really bad.

However, when I try to fix this, it gets worse, as I simply cannot get the same font size to display! I am having to reload different posts multiple times (on a desperately slow Internet connection from China...upwards of 10 minutes per page refresh).

Post 1 looks fine. Set at Tahoma, with no size setting specified.
Post 2 is in a font size clearly larger than the font size in Post 1.
So....I am a clever boy...I set the font size in Post 2, one size smaller.
When I reload the blog.....it is now clearly smaller than the font size in Post 1.

While it may seem logical to say "Don't set the font size" when adding text to a new post, this is not entirely practical, because if you are cutting and pasting into the text, you need to choose the new format and font size so that it matches.

What am I doing wrong?

- Mark
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fonts driving me nuts!!!!! Reply with quote

Mark - without seeing your blog it's difficult to answer this question... I can say though, that it is not necessary to set the font size... You can paste in your text and let it become the default font and size. Just try to avoid composing your text in Microsoft Word and pasting it in, as Word will try to retain style information of the text and that may be what is causing you trouble. It would actually be better to compose in Notepad to make sure that you do not paste in text with extra style information.

Suggestions:

1) Don't set the font and size: let the text assume the default style. Compose offline in Notepad, and not rich text environments like Word.

2) Turn off the Rich Text Editor if you want more control over your posts and are familiar with HTML. The Rich Text Editor is great for beginners and those folks who don't know HTML, but if you know HTML then turn off the Rich Text Editor (Settings & Security -> Advanced)

3) Try using a blogging client such as Ecto for Mac or Blogjet for Windows. These kinds of clients may make it easier for you to compose your posts offline (especially nice if you are on a slow connection), then post the article when you are online.

Hope this helps, let us know if any of this seems to make a difference or if you suspect there is a different issue.
mke1963

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Weirder and weirder..... Reply with quote

I have found a death-defyingly slow solution to this....

Add different font sizes to the post. Save. Then remove different font sizes and republish using the same as your original font size. (Sounds more complicated than it is, but life is rapidly becoming too short for this.)

I have been able to see screens where the small font is smaller than the x-small font size.

I appreciate the lightning speed response of John and the incredibly knowledgable input of some expert users, but Blohgarbor is becoming very very "high maintenance". I am having more problems in a few weeks at BH than I have had in 13 months using Typepad. Unfortunately the TP ban in China prevents me from continuing to use it. Sad

- Mark
mke1963

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks. I will give the other tools a try. I tend to use the rich text editor. fwiw cutting and pasting in from Internet Explorer does not cause the text to adopt the default fonts in Blog Harbor....it keeps the original font from IE.

- Mark
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Weirder and weirder..... Reply with quote

mke1963 wrote:
I am having more problems in a few weeks at BH than I have had in 13 months using Typepad. Unfortunately the TP ban in China prevents me from continuing to use it.

Most folks who have come over from TP have been quite happy with our service, and find the experience here to be a positive one. But we understand that users will have their own preferences; some people will like the way we do things, some people will prefer another way. That's why we have a free 30 day trial: you can give our service a try and if you don't like it, you can move on and it hasn't cost you a thing. If you like it and would like to stay on, then that's great.

So thanks for trying us out, and for your feedback. We do appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Sorry...I was a bit irritated with lots of things! A bad hair day!
I do appreciate the responsive service from you and Blogharbor. I will be signing up to the paid service.

Thanks for such rapid responses to ALL the questions and problems (both in this forum and also by e-mail).

- Mark
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the bad hair day, Mark. We all have them some times! Thanks for your vote of confidence in our service. Very Happy
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: