BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Swapping between viewing and admin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmanueljames

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Swapping between viewing and admin Reply with quote

I have not yet found a graceful way of switching between viewing my blog and its admin.

The two ways I have found are:

1. To bookmark pages - and swap between tabs (Firefox here)

2. According to the welcome advice I can log in.

As to 2. I have allowed automatic login and so am reluctant to go this route, even if allowed. Also I had rather not clutter up the real estate of the blog layout with this option.

On 1. OK but demands a level of expertise not all may have.

So, a question is:

When I am viewing my own blog, is there anyway an option can appear to swtich me to admin - on top of home and subscribe?

EJ
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping between viewing and admin Reply with quote

If you log into your blog page, you will also see Edit Entry and Post New Entry links when you are viewing your blog, so that should add some convenience.

I guess if you're asking is there another way to keep 2 pages open on my screen at the same time, other than keeping 2 pages open on my screen, I guess the answer is no... Using tabbed browsing with Firefox or Mozilla is the best solution to the problem; it's really the most convenient way to keep 2 web pages open simultaneously.
emmanueljames

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice.

After a lengthy investigation, I have found 'Edit Entry and Post New Entry' in Layout Headers. These are not visible to me in my blog, see for instance http://emmanueljames.blogharbor.com/blog/Poems

To try things out I have moved the position of these two items, within Layout | Header and saved the new layout. I still cannot find these in my blog.

This process has been made more difficult by the very slow response I am getting in the last 90 minutes (I am in the UK). It is not even clear to me that the amendments I have made have been implemented.

I like the facillities you offer and the support given has been excellent but I am getting frustrated here.

(I think it may be relevant to say I first worked in IT in 1969, so am hardly a beginner...)

EJ
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmanueljames wrote:
After a lengthy investigation, I have found 'Edit Entry and Post New Entry' in Layout Headers. These are not visible to me in my blog, see for instance...

In order to see these links, you will need to log in to the blog from the blog itself. Look for the Login component on your blogs sidebar. If you see that, then you need to login there and you will then receive authorization for those 2 links to appear to you. They will not appear to the general public, only to an Admin who has logged in.
emmanueljames

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this.

I had anticipated, if I may say, that that could be the case.

Still, isn't there an oddity here? While I was doing my investigations I was also working on the blog itself - you will see 'The Aerial Hours' in the poems blog for late last night.

So, as I see it, I can add to the blog by going through a bookmark to my admin page (using automatic login) but I cannot edit my blog starting with the blog itself unless I login again., specifically

Is this correct, please?

Although a different topic, I haven't had a response to my concern about response times. These were truly awful.

How do I raise this matter officially, please?

EJ
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmanueljames wrote:
So, as I see it, I can add to the blog by going through a bookmark to my admin page (using automatic login) but I cannot edit my blog starting with the blog itself unless I login again., specifically
Is this correct, please?

From my understanding, of your question, yes, this is correct and normal. You will have to login in twice, once so that your blog can recognize you and once so the Admin Control Panel can recognize you.
emmanueljames wrote:
Although a different topic, I haven't had a response to my concern about response times. These were truly awful. How do I raise this matter officially, please?

You can consider the matter officially raised... Our system has not had any recent connectivity issues, so I can only guess that the issue was related to a network problem on the network to which you are connected or on some network between yours and ours. If you are experiencing these symptoms in the future, we suggest you do what's called a traceroute. A traceroute steps through the path of networks from your computer to another location on the Internet, and provides some clues to what kind of network congestion might be happening along the way.

In Windows, you would do a traceroute by opening an MS-DOS command prompt and typing
Code:
tracert example.blogharbor.com

Copy the output and send it along to us and we'll see if we can spot the problem.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: