BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rtf editing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmanueljames

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Rtf editing Reply with quote

In a recent post I suggested that one could manage multiple blogs [that is using more than one registered username] at the same time through using multiple browsers. But were there any snags?

When testing I used Opera with Firefox; Firefox is my default browser.

After posting, I got to Edit Article, in blogharbor, and got a warning that rtf editing was not supported, so only basic editing was offered.

This morning I have tried the same trick with Netscape 7.1. This time I find the basic editor loaded and without any warning.

That's the background.

Could the blogharbor team do two things:

1. say whether there is anyway round this restriction, eg options within individual browsers that might be changed

2 Post a list of those browsers that do, and those browsers that do not support full editing?

EJ
emmanueljames

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post, this is what I think is happening.

When I logged on in Opera, because of problems with rtf and that browser, blogharbor switched off rich text editing and that switch off was 'sticky'.

In terms, when I reloaded in any browser I was in basic editing. To add to the confusion, when rtf editing is switched off then the editing help message (below the edit window and pointing to settings) gets switched off too.

So I have had to dig out how to change back to rtf directly. Settings & Security | Advanced and the next to last option on that page?

Teach me to push the envelope.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, when rft editing is switched off , can the user be given more help about the consequences, and the cure, please?

EJ
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rtf editing Reply with quote

emmanueljames wrote:
1. say whether there is anyway round this restriction, eg options within individual browsers that might be changed

No, there's no way for us to create a settings profile for you when you are using one browser and another settings profile for a different browser.

emmanueljames wrote:
2 Post a list of those browsers that do, and those browsers that do not support full editing?

Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, IE 6 should all give you a fine experience with the rich text editor, though the editor seems to be smoother on Mozilla-based browsers than IE. Mac Safari has troubles, as does Mac IE, we posted about that here.

Opera does not support the technology used to enable the rich text editor, known as the MIDAS Rich Text API if you care to google for more info about it. This API is also in use at Hotmail and Yahoo mail in order to allow composition of HTML mail.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmanueljames wrote:
So I have had to dig out how to change back to rtf directly. Settings & Security | Advanced and the next to last option on that page?

Correct, that is the location of the switch to enable the Rich-Text Editor.

emmanueljames wrote:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, when rft editing is switched off , can the user be given more help about the consequences, and the cure, please?

We currently provide the following warning:

The rich text editor is currently enabled for this blog, however it has been determined that your browser is unable to support the advanced features of this editor. Click here to disable the rich text editor.

We'll look into ways to clarify this message.
emmanueljames

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I think we crossed in the posting, here. You cover the point made below in your next post!

Thanks again for the quick, helpful response.

A loose end, if I may.

There is the point that, when I hit Opera during testing, blogware detected that and switched off rich text editing.

Can you take on board the thought that the user should be advised that this switch off is sticky. In terms, that when the user returns to another browser, the user has to actively swtich rt edit on again.

[Also, its a pretty long road to that switch. Perhaps too long for some users...?]
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: