BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
bandwidth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpolley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: bandwidth Reply with quote

Being blog stupid as I am I'm not sure I understand what bandwidth is? Could someone explain it in layman's terms?
artatcomo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words do not take much code to be passed through telephone wires but photos do. Sometimes a web page with a couple photos has code that requires 100,000 pieces of code. This bandwidth is 100k. (k means 1000) If ten people download (view) your site, your website host has to serve that 100k to 10 addresses. This equals 10 X 100k = 1000k. 1000k= 1 million = 1MegaByte(MB). If ten people look at your 100k site every day of the 30 day month your monthly bandwidth is 100kX10X30=30,000k. One gigabyte(GB) is 1,000MB so your monthly bandwidth would only be 0.03 GB.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: bandwidth Reply with quote

That's not a blog stupid question, it's a great blog question, and we need to do a better job explaining the term!

We are using the term Bandwidth, though technically the term we should be using is Transfer. When we say that your Blog allows 1 GB of bandwidth in the Standard Plan for example, we mean that your blog is configured to send up to 1 GB of data -- that's 1024 MB -- to your readers every month.

If your blog homepage has 20k of text and one 80k image, that is 100k of data. If you have 10 readers access the page once, then the total amount of data your blog will send is about 1 MB. Your one 100k page could be viewed 10,000 times and the total amount of transfer would be 1 GB.

When you log in to your blog control panel you'll immediately see the QUICK STATS box on the left side of the control panel. Your blog's current Bandwidth and Disk Usage are shown here.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artatcomo wrote:
Words do not take much code to be passed through telephone wires but photos do.

Good post, artatcomo. I think I was composing my post as you wrote yours. Looks like 100k is a magic number!
artatcomo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if that hypothetical 100k page was slashdotted and 100,000 viewers requested a view. That is 10 Gigs. Would blog harbor stop at my 1Gig limit or would I owe money for the overage that month. What protects us from some robot loading our page 1000's of times and running up a bill that in my opinion would be unfair.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artatcomo wrote:
What if that hypothetical 100k page was slashdotted and 100,000 viewers requested a view. That is 10 Gigs. Would blog harbor stop at my 1Gig limit or would I owe money for the overage that month.

You will never be billed for overage fees at BlogHarbor.

When your blog exceeds its monthly bandwidth allowance, it will no longer be accessible. Visitors to your site will see a message saying that the site is temporarily unavailable. You will have limited access to the web control panel; you will not be able to upload files for example. Upon exceeding the monthly bandwidth of your hosting plan, you have 3 options:

1) Purchase additional temporary bandwidth: Temporary upgrades allow you to increase bandwidth when your site experiences a surge in popularity which you do not expect to be permanent. Additional Temporary Bandwidth is available to your account through the end of the month in which it was purchased, after which your account reverts back to the normal Bandwidth in your current plan. Unused Bandwidth from temporary bandwidth upgrades is not carried forward for use in subsequent months. Additional Temporary Bandwidth is available for $4/GB.

2) Upgrade your plan: Move up to the next plan; if you are using the Standard Plan, you can upgrade to the Extra Plan for example, which offers an additional 1 GB monthly bandwidth for an additional $3/month.

3) Do nothing: You are not required to upgrade. You can wait until the following month, when the bandwidth counter is reset and you are back to having the full allowance of bandwidth. On the first day of the next month, your blog will automatically resume normal operations, and open up for access as usual.

The ability to do #1 and #2 above (add additional temporary bandwidth or upgrade your hosting plan) in real-time was added to our system just last night; we'll be posting additional information as soon as we can. We will also shortly begin sending email notifications for when a blog approaches or exceeds its bandwidth allowance.

artatcomo wrote:
What protects us from some robot loading our page 1000's of times and running up a bill that in my opinion would be unfair.

We are working on adding additional controls to protect blog owners from this scenario. If you are able to determine the IP address of a robot or user abusing your site, our service allows you to choose IP addresses to block from accessing your site. From the control panel, go to Settings -> Security.

Please contact us if you think someone is abusing your blog, we will attempt to determine if there is a problem and help find ways to protect you and your blog from abuse.

We are a pretty reasonable lot here: if you need help or think something is unfair, let us know and we will do our best to treat you fairly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an added thought. My old host (freeservers.com) had a bandwidth limit on the different hosting levels also. One thing they offered was "pre-authorized" temporary bandwidth. In other words, I could set-up a certain amount of money I was willing to pay in advance in case I went over the limit. They didn't bill me unless it was needed.

I had "authorized" in advance 2 extra gigs of bandwidth over my plan after
I got listed in a newsletter once and they shut down my site in less than an hour... It was almost as bad as being Slash Dotted...lol

That host was for websites, I don't do that anymore, but I am enjoying my "blog experience".

Jeff

http://vinton.blogharbor.com/
melayuws

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Upgrade bandwith Reply with quote

If I have a plus account with 2GB transfer , can I upgrade my monthly bandwith transfer limit? In other words can extra bandwith be purchased?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade bandwith Reply with quote

Yes you can, see this page for more information:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/19/91751.html
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: