BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Main Page - how do I change the name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zroppel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Main Page - how do I change the name Reply with quote

Good evening, how do I change the name of 'Main Page' to something else? Is there something I can customize in the base template? The words 'Main Page' show up several times on my homepage, and I would like something more relevant to the subject.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Main Page - how do I change the name Reply with quote

The Main Page name for the top-level category of your blog is not customizable. The category will always be referred to as Main Page...

You can create your own 'cover page' for your site: if you upload a file named index.html to the top level of the File Manager, that page would be served as your blog's home page...
cr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: other options for "Main Page" Reply with quote

If you just want to get rid of the "Main Page" text, you could use the following code:

Code:
{{if category.label eq "Main Page}}More Relevant Term Goes Here{{else}}{{category.label}}{{/if}}

Hopefully that helped Very Happy
cr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: whoops Reply with quote

whoops, in the last post, i forgot a quotation mark. here is the right code...

Code:
{{if category.label eq "Main Page"}}Blah Blah Blah{{else}}{{category.label}}{{/if}}

The first time I forgot the " after Main Page.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: whoops Reply with quote

cr is correct, there are some places in the template where you may be able to change the text. There are many other areas (such as the 'breadcrumb' text that shows you what the trail to the current pages is or the category tree) where it is not possible to modify the title of the Main Page category.
zroppel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: cr is brilliant Reply with quote

thanks for the help john and mr. cr, you guys are brilliant, especially the guest calling himself cr, i wish i was more well networked with incredible bloggers such as yourselves
zroppel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: where do i post the code Reply with quote

john, where exactly do i post the code that is listed above?
cr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: alternates for the main page words on the blog Reply with quote

you place that code in every space that you want to use it. so for instance, if you wanted the meta title of your blog to feature the name of whatever category the page was on, but you never wanted it to say main page, then you could use the following code...

Code:
<title>
{{blog.name}} :: {{if category.label eq "Main Page"}}blah blah blah{{else}}{{category.label}}{{/if}}
</title>

or if you wanted to change a custom component in your blog, like the blog name component to feature in the header of your pages, and you want that to say the name of the category the viewer is seeing, you could use the following code...

Code:
<div class="component">
<div class="componentBlogname">
<a href="{{blog.url}}">
{{if category.label eq "Main Page"}}blah blah blah{{else}}{{category.label}}{{/if}}
</a></div>
</div>

I hope that helps...
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: where do i post the code Reply with quote

zroppel wrote:
john, where exactly do i post the code that is listed above?

That code is for your base template. This thread:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

has some instructions for modifying your base template.
NappilyEvahAftah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Page - how do I change the name Reply with quote

john wrote:

You can create your own 'cover page' for your site: if you upload a file named index.html to the top level of the File Manager, that page would be served as your blog's home page...

I need an explanation of this. I want to create a cover page. I create a hmtl page in notepad, and upload it?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Page - how do I change the name Reply with quote

If you create a file named index.html and upload it to the top level of the File Manager, then that page will be shown as a kind of "splash page" when someone visits the base URL without the /blog . You can create the index.html file using any program you like, Notepad should do fine.
NappilyEvahAftah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks, John Reply with quote

I think I may just leave my blog as it is. I created a category called, "My Journal", and all future entries will go there.

The first entry I created was an "intro", so I'll just leave that page on the "main page", and all other entries will go in the journal. Cuz, I'm not a web designer, and I don't wanna mess up. Ya know?

Thanks again and...Merry Christmas! Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: