BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New subscriber welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
des

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: New subscriber welcome Reply with quote

I'm opting for the default system which requires people to subscribe before they can comment. I'm also noticing I'm not getting comments, whereas in a blog elsewhere I am (and also some comment spam!).
I've put some text in my right sidebar, explaining the login/comment system. But there is still the fairly blunt message when someone wants to comment and:
a) no explanation about the comment spam stuff, which I think people would get
b) no assurance that the site owner doesn't see the name and email address you supply (at least I think we don't!).

I can't see how I can edit the relevant text - is there a way?

Des
Thinking Home Business http://www.thinkinghomebusiness.com
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New subscriber welcome Reply with quote

You are correct that we do not supply you with the details of someone who creates a Reader Account for the reason that Reader Accounts are valid for all blogs in our network and not just yours. This allows you to use your Publisher or Reader Account to post on any blog, you do not need to create a new account to access each blog. All users can choose how much of their identity or information they want to reveal by accessing their control panel at Address Book > My Profile. From there one can choose to make elements of your profile Private, Public, or for Friends Only.

Please note the difference between Subscribing to a blog which in our context essentially means signing up to receive email notifications of a blog's updates, and creating a Reader Account. Someone who has created a Reader Account is not necessarily a Subscriber. Subscriptions are convenient for folks who don't use RSS to monitor a blog's updates.

As for changing the text on the comment area, some of it is modifiable by customizing your article template. Here's how you would get there.
  1. Login to your Blog Admin Control Panel through the Login page.
  2. Click on the Look and Feel tab, then the Templates subtab.
  3. Now you see a list of the Templates you can customize. We are going to customize the article template, which controls the look of an article when it appears by itself (on its permanent link) and not on a category page, so click Edit in the row that begins with the word article.
  4. Now you'll be on a page listing the current article templates (there will probably be only one). Go all the way to the bottom of the page and click the Customize button.
  5. Almost there: Click the Go button to Copy the Standard template to the staging area. You'll come to the page where you can customize the article template.
Now, the question of what code to change... I am going to leave this unanswered for a few days, as I want to verify a few issues related to the article template. I'll try to post some additional tips as to modifying the article template in a couple of days when I have confirmed a couple of these issues.
des

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
Thanks for the reply and the important distinction between subscribing and opening a Reader Account.
I look forward to getting the rest of the info about amending the template.
Des
des

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
How are we going on the info for amending the template, please?
Des
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did not receive the information I was looking for, but I will try to get you started. I probably should have said that none of the default text is modifiable, but you can add text if you need to. Here's a way to add some additional explanatory text to the comment form.

First, follow the steps I outlined above for getting to your article template. Now look at the very bottom of the template for this code:

Code:
{{if allow_comments}}
<a name="post_comment"></a>
<div style="margin:25px 0;">
{{include name="post_comment_inline.html"}}
</div>
{{/if}}

Replace it with this:

Code:
{{if allow_comments}}
<div class="commentFormInline">
Post your extra information here...
</div>
</div>
{{/if}}

and replace the Post your extra information here... with some text that you would like to use to explain to your readers.

Here is some more fancy code which allows you to display some text only to users who can not post - users who are not logged in:

Code:
{{if allow_comments}}
{{unless can_post}}Post your extra information here...{{/unless}}
</div>
</div>
{{/if}}

This code will allow you to display some text to readers who can not comment since they have not authenticated, and some other text to readers who are permitted to comment:

Code:
{{if allow_comments}}
{{unless can_post}}Post your extra information here for readers who have not logged in...{{else}}Show this text for readers who have logged in already.{{/unless}}
</div>
</div>
{{/if}}

Hope this gets you started!
des

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
I've made the basic amendment and it worked! I wasn't clear about the two final segments of code and whether the idea is to add them in below the basic one, or what? Forgive my dumbness, it's late Confused

Des
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those last 3 blocks of code are all options. Don't use all 3 of them, just pick one depending on how you want to modify your site.

The first option will display some text to every visitor. The second option displays some text only to visitors who have not logged in. The third option allows you to display some text to visitors who have permission to comment and different text to visitors who do not have permission to comment.
des

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. It was late Smile Thanks John

Des
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: