BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
.htaccess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: .htaccess Reply with quote

John, will .htaccess/mod_rewrite commands work in blogharbor?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: .htaccess Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but our system is not architected in a way that you can use .htaccess files.
jn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Maybe you could provide an idea or two on something.

It's nice that we can display java generated rss feeds, however, that does nothing for search engine positioning, since the java generated text and headlines are not read by the search engines as they index your site.

I am looking for a way to run a simple php request from a blogharbor page so that I can display cached rss feed results in a page display rather than the java way.

That way feed text is read by spiders.

It's easy to do anywhere else, but the scripting limitations here make it tough.
I was going to use .htaccess to redirect certain page requests to another domain, solving the problem.

Is there absolutely no way to run a simple php script here?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

You might be looking at the older Javascript based RSS component, try using the built in feature for creating RSS headline lists in your blog. That's exactly what you're looking for:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/12/24/214163.html

Is there absolutely no way to run a simple php script here?

Yes, there really is absolutely no way to run a php script on your blog.
jn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: hooray Reply with quote

OK, so you guys are handling caching results for display and it works great, I set up a test and created a sidebar component.

One last problem.

You have ommitted (I think) access to edit or view the actual rss components after they are created. (Didn't see the new component listed in edit components, but it existed in add components)

I wanted to use the rss components in an artcle display rather than in the sidebar.
Is there a way to see the actual makeup of one of those components so I could use the same thing but post it in an article.

(The idea is to post an rss feed to an article, then link to those individual artcle page permalinks from the sidebar)
That way I can have a bunch of feeds and an easy way to get to them)
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: hooray Reply with quote

You have ommitted (I think) access to edit or view the actual rss components after they are created. (Didn't see the new component listed in edit components, but it existed in add components)

An RSS Headline component can not be edited in the same way that your Blogname component can be edited for example.

To edit the presentation of the RSS headline in your sidebar, we've added a new template called the rss_feed template. So you can edit the presentation of your RSS heaadline components globally, but not individually by clicking on Edit from the Layout menu.

I wanted to use the rss components in an artcle display rather than in the sidebar. Is there a way to see the actual makeup of one of those components so I could use the same thing but post it in an article.

That's not possible using this component.
jn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: rss comp Reply with quote

Not to be a pain but why not?
Mechanically, If it'll display in the sidebar it'll display anywhere on a page or in a separate html page, so it's not a functionality issue.
Just a question of not wanting people to see how it's called?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: rss comp Reply with quote

The issue is not quite that simple from a technical perspective. The parts of the software that build your sidebar are not the same as the parts of software that build the article.

We can't necessarily stuff your articles into the sidebar, and we can't necessarily stuff your sidebars into an article. There are some elements that can cross over, but it would not be accurate at all to say that "it'll display in the sidebar it'll display anywhere on a page."

This has nothing to do with not wanting people to see something, the system just does not provide that functionality.

We always evaluate our users support questions as possible feature requests, so by asking the question, we understand that this is a feature you would like to see.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The parts of the software that build your sidebar are not the same as the parts of software that build the article.

Agreed, but the component is called like:

<div class="component">
<div class="componentHead">test</div>
<div class="componentContent">
<div class="componentRSSFeed">
<YOUR SECRET CALL TO THE FUNCTION HERE>
</div> <!-- componentRSSFeed -->
</div> <!-- componentContent -->
</div> <!-- component -->

When the page is displayed, it shows the feed where the function call is.

If I knew what that was and how it was formatted, it could be called from anywhere or inserted into any article.

No biggie. Appreciate you taking a minute.
Consider it a feature request.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew what that was and how it was formatted, it could be called from anywhere or inserted into any article.

Again, the functions and variables that are available in the sidebar are not necessarily available in other contexts. I really can't say it in any other way except that your statement above is not correct. You can go take out the code from the rss_style template and insert in an article and the article will not know what to do with that code...

Consider it a feature request.

As mentioned previously, we already did consider it a feature request.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: