BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
when will archive bug be fixed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qureus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: when will archive bug be fixed? Reply with quote

Hi John,

It's been almost a month since I reported the bug with the archive display. I noticed in my blog that articles posted before Jan 12 are not being shown at all and that I still can't set the monthly archive field to show the full month (go to General Properties tab). I wouldn't mind so much but there are no additional pages that can be clicked on. This means that new folks just coming into the blog will probably not know that there are articles before Jan 12.

Please give details on when this bug will be fixed. This is an important bug needing attention. There's so much I like about BlogHarbor but this is irritating that this bug still isn't fixed.

Qureus
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: when will archive bug be fixed? Reply with quote

Querus, I think you're confusing a couple of different things here...

First, you note this:

I noticed in my blog that articles posted before Jan 12 are not being shown at all

Articles posted before Jan. 12 are not being shown on your Main Page because that is the way you have configured your blog. You have configured your blog to display 15 days worth of articles on your categories. You can see this is the way you configured your blog on the Admin Control Panel at Settings & Security > Publishing Defaults > Navigation. Look at the right side of the page and you will see the Paging type option.

You have configured your blog to display By days and have chosen 15 Days per page. This means that your blog will display 15 Days worth of articles in any category; the last 15 days which have articles will be shown.

So today is Jan. 31, and you posted articles on these most recent 15 days:

January 31
January 29
January 28
January 27
January 26
January 25
January 23
January 21
January 20
January 19
January 18
January 17
January 14
January 13
January 12

and that's why only articles through Jan. 12 are shown on your blog. In order to show your readers that there are additional pages in your blog, you have a few options...

One way to show your readers that there are additional articles is to include a link to additional articles on the top of your category pages. Since you are using By Days as your Paging Type and displaying 15 days worth of articles on your category pages, we have a feature which you can use to automatically add links to the Next 15 Days and Previous 15 Days worth of articles.

You can enable these links from the same Navigation Settings page we described above and look right below the Paging Type options and you will see the Show paging links on default category view checkbox. If you check this box, your categories will all automatically show these Next and Previous links. You can configure the style of your Days Per Page links from the Link Formats dropdown to the left of that checkbox. You can change the links to either read Next or Next 15 days, for example.

That's one way to show your readers that you have additional content; it's a great way to allow your readers to navigate forward and backward through your category pages.

Another way to add additional navigation aids is to add the Calendar component to your sidebar. The Month Archive is also a good component to add to show users that there are additional areas of content, but it can tend to get "lost" in a busy sidebar. You do have the Month Archive, but it's all the way at the bottom of your left sidebar, try moving it somewhere else in order to make sure that your users can see it.

All of this is part of the intended design of the system, we do not consider any of the above issues to be bugs.

I still can't set the monthly archive field to show the full month (go to General Properties tab)

Yes, the issue that the has been brought to the attention of our developers, but I am not sure if this option does what you think it does...

The only thing that the Display entire month option would give you is that all of a month's articles would appear in a Monthly Archive view as opposed to what you are seeing now, which is that the Monthly Archive respects the Paging Type options on the Navigation Settings page above... So in your case, any Monthly Archive page displays the last 15 Days and provides Next and Previous paging links.

We are currently seeing that there are performance issues with allowing the Archive view to contain an essentially unlimited number of articles. Consider the blog that posts hundreds of articles or more per month. Our servers would be overly stressed by attempting to retrieve the full text of hundreds of articles out of the database, not to mention that the resulting page would be so large that it would likely crash any browser.

For these reasons, there would have to be some way to limit the number of articles that can be displayed on an Archive page in order to ensure that we can not only serve the page properly but not serve it with some arbitrary number of articles...

So even if we are to enable the Display entire month option, that would not change the way your Main Page will load or what would be displayed there, it would only change whether or not Monthly Archive page loads with Paging Links... You would still need to bring your readers attention to the fact that such additional content exists beyond that which is displayed as a result of your Paging Type settings, and you would still need to do that by using the Calendar or Monthly Archive components or by enabling Paging links from the Navigation Settings page.

Thanks for reading, hope this explains things more accurately than I may have presented to you before.
qureus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: this is why I love you Reply with quote

Hi John,

I owe you an apology for jumping on BlogHarbor for my own misunderstanding. Thanks for setting me straight -- and being so diplomatic about it!

I'm relooking at my settings, per your thoughts.

Thanks for all the help you provide on an ongoing basis.

Q
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: this is why I love you Reply with quote

FYI, you should now be able to choose Display Entire Month from the Monthly Archives option on the General Settings page. Wink
qureus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

I flipped the switch. Thanks, John!

Q
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: