BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Group blog administration III: adding (new) usernames

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Group blog administration III: adding (new) usernames Reply with quote

In testing out group blog admin., I have had problems when creating new usernames.

What, as an administrator, I wish to do, is to add a new username and then test that name has been successfully added.

When I create a new user there are three kinds of parameter(s) to hand:

1. special permissions

2. group membership

3. category permissions.

Having created a new username, joined her up to a group, set her as a trusted reader and allowed her to read the category main page I still can't, as yet, log on as her.

Queries

a] there are, I think, two reasons why I can't log on as a user:

* the username and/or the password have been spelt wrong

* that user hasn't got access rights to any blog, and so is refused..

b] what are the minimum permissions any user must have before they can log on

c] if I join a new user to a group, with group permissions, do those permissions propagate to that new user automatically or do I have to give her category permissions as well

I will post next about the relationship between these various types of permission.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Group blog administration III: adding (new) usernames Reply with quote

Any user can Login to a blog, you do not need permissions to Login to a blog. Logging in identifies you to the blog, allows your reader account to subscribe to email notifications, and possibly to reply to comments if the blog owner allows comments by authenticated users.

You can Login to any blog with a Reader Account. You might not get any special access to restricted areas, but you can log in. Whether or not you get access to any special restricted areas is up to the blog owner and whether or not she gavce you the ability to access a restricted area.

Only users with authorship capabilites can log into the blog control panel. Please clarify whether you are referring to logging into the blog or the blog control panel.

a] there are, I think, two reasons why I can't log on as a user: * the username and/or the password have been spelt wrong

Did this turn out to be the case? Either your username/password is incorrect, or your browser is not allowing cookies. Those are the only reasons I can think of as to why your user would not be able to log in to the blog.

* that user hasn't got access rights to any blog, and so is refused..

b] what are the minimum permissions any user must have before they can log on

As noted above, anyone with a Reader Account can login to your blog. Getting additional permissions once logged in, that is a different question. That's what the blog admin can configure.

c] if I join a new user to a group, with group permissions, do those permissions propagate to that new user automatically or do I have to give her category permissions as well

Yes, that is the whole point of using Groups for permissions. You can add users to groups, then give the group access to categories as you see fit without having to add individual users one by one. From this Guide to Managing Permissions and Security for Groups:

Quote:
What are Groups?
If you have a number of users to whom you wish to assign the same set of custom permissions, Groups are very handy. Rather than having to assign a set of custom permissions to a number of users, one at a time, you can create a Group with a specific set of permissions and then assign people to that group. Users who belong to a Group have that Group's permissions assigned to them.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: