BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Group blog administration II: Intellectual property rights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Group blog administration II: Intellectual property rights Reply with quote

A group of poets meets once a month to listen to, and it could be comment on, each others' work.

Some of those poets wish to try and get their work published.

Whether 'publication' is through a magazine etc or via entry to a competition, whether the work submitted has been previously published is most always an issue.

If a poem is 'published' on a blog, whether a personal or group blog, I take it that counts as publication, proper, without the scare quotes.

And this is a particular question for a group blog (plog) administrator who wishes to advise members properly.

This is, more widely, a question in 'intellectual property rights' (IPR). A vexed subject, no doubt.

Views please?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Group blog administration II: Intellectual property righ Reply with quote

If you are asking who owns the copyright on a group blog, that would be a question for you and your group members to work out between yourselves. There's not one answer, just as in the offline world that would be something agreed upon in advance by the publisher and the writer.
David Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

As always, thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

The question I pose is not to do with copyright per se but what counts as having a poem say published.

If I read a poem at a poetry group, I am reading in public - assuming anyone can come in, but I doubt that counts as previous publication.

If I get a poem published in the New York Review of Books then that poem has certainly been published. For example, if I later published the same poem in a book collection I would acknowledge the NYRB publication, even if I retained copyright.

But does publication of a poem in an unrestricted blog count as 'previous publication' even if, again, there is no question about who the copyright owner is.

It may well be this is not a question that your team feels competent to comment on. Can any reader help out here, please?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Andrew wrote:
But does publication of a poem in an unrestricted blog count as 'previous publication' even if, again, there is no question about who the copyright owner is... It may well be this is not a question that your team feels competent to comment on. Can any reader help out here, please?

You ask does publishing online count as previous publication. I suppose that depends on who you are asking the question to. If you are wondering whether a poetry editor would consider it previous publication, you would be best off asking a poetry editor directly.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: