BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Group blog administration IV: groups and secure categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Group blog administration IV: groups and secure categories Reply with quote

Background

In my posting 'II', I referred to some consequences of posting to a blog, specifically that that posting would count as 'publishing' of a poem, say. With that in mind, I have been exploring the use of secure categories.

Next, since I am planning to support a (poetry) group, the use of a blogharbor group seems sensible.

Finally, in the cause of easy administration, the blog should combine a public area with a 'category' for each individual member of the group and an overall secure area with the same structure, eg:

Main Page
..member#1
..member#2
..secure
....member#1 (r)
....member#2 (r)

where (r) is, of course, restricted access - and so not 'publication'

Purpose

This post has three purposes:

1. to pass on lessons learned about doing this - and check I have understood what I have done correctly

2. to raise queries

3. to seek comment about other things to bear in mind given the requirements this group has.

Lessons learned

a] I think by default, categories not least Main Page, are set up so that permissions set against the parent category (eg Main) are inherited by child categories. If you want group members to have selective access to categories, you have to use the post manager to switch this 'inheritance' off.

For example, when setting group permissions you precisely don't want, when you check(tick) read against 'main page' that that checking ripples through all the child categories.

b] if you want the public category, eg 'David Andrew' and the secure category, eg Secure|David Andrew to have the same name, you have first to create a new category with a unique name, then make it the child of 'secure' and then rename it. btw: I am quite unsure whether this ruse makes for good site administration but it might make life easier for users.

Queries

1. I do not feel I have understood a relationship. That relationship is between permissions given when a username is set up, against any one blog and the permissions that take precedence if the user is made a member of a group.

Could I have a reference to material about this, please.

2. I am also unclear about the relationship between the status of 'post' , eg of an article, and the capacity to comment..

However, this post has got long and, I guess, it would be better to deal with this issue separately.

Comment sought

Such is the functionality of blogware, that I am sure other experienced group administrators - ploggers, it could be - have tackled like issues.

Tips please.

DJA
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Group blog administration IV: groups and secure categori Reply with quote

a] I think by default, categories not least Main Page, are set up so that permissions set against the parent category (eg Main) are inherited by child categories. If you want group members to have selective access to categories, you have to use the post manager to switch this 'inheritance' off.

When you create a category, there is a checkbox labeled Inherit permissions from parent. If you check it, your new category will indeed inherit permissions from its parent.

b] if you want the public category, eg 'David Andrew' and the secure category, eg Secure|David Andrew to have the same name, you have first to create a new category with a unique name, then make it the child of 'secure' and then rename it. btw: I am quite unsure whether this ruse makes for good site administration but it might make life easier for users.

Not sure what you mean here... There should be no problem creating a category with an existing name as long as it is not on the same level as another category with that name. You can make Test/Test/Test if you want to...

This Guide to creating categories might help:

* Create and Delete Categories

1. I do not feel I have understood a relationship. That relationship is between permissions given when a username is set up, against any one blog and the permissions that take precedence if the user is made a member of a group

As I noted in a message from earlier this morning, creating a user account does not give it any permissions. You must give a user permissions either as an individual or as a member of a group.

Here are some of our guides to users, groups and permissions:

* Add and Delete Administrators
* Add and Delete Trusted Posters
* Add and Delete Trusted Readers
* Add and Delete Users With Custom Permissions
* Manage Permissions and Security for Groups
* Change the "Restricted" Status of Categories and Photo Albums
* Give Readers Access to Restricted Categories and Photo Albums
* Invite Users to be Readers, Posters or Administrators

Take a glance through some of these, hopefully there is some information in there which will be useful.

2. I am also unclear about the relationship between the status of 'post' , eg of an article, and the capacity to comment..

Posting an article is not related to commenting on it...

There's a whole section in the user manual on comments:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/3/82263.html
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: