BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Setting Up Registered Domain Name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocollier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Setting Up Registered Domain Name Reply with quote

I have a domain name that I have registered through Go Daddy (www.blackgreeknetwork.com) and I followed the directions for setting it up on the blogharbor servers.

Here are my problems:

1. When some one types www.blackgreeknetwork.com they are automatically forwarded to blackgreeknetwork.blogharbor.com which is great. The only problem is that I don't want to show that the website is hosted on blogharbor. I would rather the url look like it is on the blackgreeknetwork.com domain.
I would prefer it be blog.blackgreeknetwork.com or just blackgreeknetwork.com

2. I have had the Black Greek Network site for some time and have been indexed very heavily by search engines. Now when those links are clicked, people are sent to a "this page can not be found" screen. Is there any way I can have those pages forwarded to my new blog?

3. Email: I want to set up to receive email based on my domain name. I am not looking for a forwarding system. I signed up for email through Go Daddy but I have yet to get it to work and I think it is because I have blogharbor as the host. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Setting Up Registered Domain Name Reply with quote

Otis- We sent you email when you first requested the use of your domain name with your blog which should have answered these questions, perhaps that mail got lost... We'll resend it for your reference.

ocollier wrote:
1. When some one types www.blackgreeknetwork.com they are automatically forwarded to blackgreeknetwork.blogharbor.com which is great. The only problem is that I don't want to show that the website is hosted on blogharbor. I would rather the url look like it is on the blackgreeknetwork.com domain. I would prefer it be blog.blackgreeknetwork.com or just blackgreeknetwork.com

Here's what we said in the email we sent you:

We'll set your domain name to be the secondary address of the site. Once you can confirm that you can see the domain name pointing to the blog, let us know and we will configure the domain to be the primary address, the one that appears in the address bar of your web browser.

We make the transition in 2 steps this way so that in case your DNS sees the domain at the old address, your blog does not become inaccessible to you. So we set your domain to be secondary, ask that you confirm when you can see the domain forwarding to the blog, and when you confirm we set the domain to be the primary address. We'll take your post here as confirmation and set your blog to use www.blackgreeknetwork.com as its primary address.

ocollier wrote:
2. I have had the Black Greek Network site for some time and have been indexed very heavily by search engines. Now when those links are clicked, people are sent to a "this page can not be found" screen. Is there any way I can have those pages forwarded to my new blog?

There is no easy way, but one thing you can do is upload files to your File Manager.

Say your previous page was:

http://www.blackgreeknetwork.com/site/home.htm

Create a directory in your File Manager called site and upload a file called home.htm into that directory. Make the contents of that home.htm file as follows:

<CODE><HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT="0; URL=http://www.blackgreeknetwork.com/">

<TITLE>Redirect</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF>
Redirecting...
</BODY>
</HTML></CODE>

Now when someone accesses that old address they will be redirected to your home page.

ocollier wrote:
13. Email: I want to set up to receive email based on my domain name. I am not looking for a forwarding system. I signed up for email through Go Daddy but I have yet to get it to work and I think it is because I have blogharbor as the host. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Because you've set our nameservers to provide DNS information for your domain, which is Option 2 listed on our instructions for using your domain name with your blog, you can not configure GoDaddy to provide email accounts for your domain. If you are using or want to use services of your current domain name registration provider such as email, you should follow Option 1 on the instructions for using your domain name with your blog.

We can provide you with full POP3 email addresses as noted here on our pricing page. We can provide you with email accounts for $3/Month Per Email Address with a $10 setup fee for the domain (there are no additional setup fees if you want to add additional email accounts). You just need to let us know which addresses you would like to use on the account, and we will create the accounts and send you the information.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: