BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Er... RSS.. I think..!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognot0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Er... RSS.. I think..! Reply with quote

John,

i created a test 5 min podcast on the main page of my blog http://dissidentvox.blogware.com/ and also in the podcast/Audioblog category.

I noticed that it only showed up as a html address when I checked http://audio.weblogs.com/changes.xml What do i need to do to ensure it shows up as /rss.xml?

I'm a bit confused so please can you make the explanation understandable by a small child! Wink

Cheers for all yer hard work!
Incognit0
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Er... RSS.. I think..! Reply with quote

According to the protocol, a ping sends the URL of the blog and not the RSS feed.

Here are some links which support that assertion:

So the answer is, you don't appear to be doing anything wrong. The folks who are pinging audio.weblogs.com with their RSS feed URL are not correct. The URL attribute in the changes.xml file should reflect the URL of the weblog, not it's feed address. If the changes.xml file were to track RSS urls, they would be in their own RSS attribute. See this changes.xml file:

http://www.weblogs.com/shortChanges.xml

That's the short version of the weblogs.com changes file, as you can see none of the urls are RSS feeds, they are the URLs of the blog itself.

Summary, folks who ping audio.weblogs.com with their RSS feed are just not doing the right thing... Services which use the info from the changes file expect the blog's URL in there, not the RSS feed URL.

Last edited by john on Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
incognit0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Ok..but.. Reply with quote

John,

some directory sites are specifically asking for RSS feed info. That being the case can you confirm that this:

http://dissidentvox.blogware.com/blog/Podcasting/index.xml

would be the correct address? Also, will this url apply to all future podcasts or mp3's I post in that category? Currently when I click on this link it asks me if I want to download an XML doc.

Also, the orange XML button that loads into the Main page of my blog... When I click on that, it asks me the same question. On some sites with an XML button it opens the xml source in the browser, so that you can copy the url etc. why can I not do this for my page?

Cheers
incognit0
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ok..but.. Reply with quote

That being the case can you confirm that this ... would be the correct address? Also, will this url apply to all future podcasts or mp3's I post in that category?

That is indeed the URL to the RSS feed for your Podcasting category.

Currently when I click on this link it asks me if I want to download an XML doc. Also, the orange XML button that loads into the Main page of my blog... When I click on that, it asks me the same question. On some sites with an XML button it opens the xml source in the browser, so that you can copy the url etc. why can I not do this for my page?

See this thread:for a full answer to that question.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: