BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Commercial Banner Strategy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacopv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Commercial Banner Strategy Reply with quote

Greetings!

I'm in my 30-day trial, exploring the (fantastic!) system and its flexibility. Obviously, also looking into the future and ways to make a blog (or in my case a podcast) profitable.

I like the component flexibility and I'd like your take on ways to use it's flexible approach to introduce a commercial banner module.

As is the case with most banner management programs, this would be some code that I would insert to make a series of rotating banners appear on a certain spot. (Given my overall preference for a side column, I'd probably favor a square banner, say, 125 x 125 pixels, but it would also be interesting to explore a similar strategy for top-of-the-page standard-sized banners.

So I need a place to store the banner images. I think I can handle this internally through blogharbor's file manager, right?

And I need a banner management program. There are some free sql/php solutions out there, but these may not be compatible with blogharbor's inner doings. Or perhaps all I need is javascript code, that can go into a specific image directory and rotate the images within it every time the page refreshes. (Clicking on the images, of course, would point to the advertiser, ideally on a separate window...)

At this stage of the game I'm not so interested in banner statistics, impressions, etc.

That said... Very Happy
Is anybody out there incorporating some sort of commercial banner solution into your blogs? And how?

Of course, what would be REALLY dreamy is to be able to introduce different sets of commercial banners on different sections of a blog, matching the subject matter of the section with that of the commercial banner...

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
abacquer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back before the election I was displaying random pro-Kerry banners in the header area of my blog. These banners were selected randomly on page load. An article describing how I did it is here:

http://unbecominglevity.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/10/26/166856.html

If you want the banners to cycle without having the user reload the page, you will need to modify this approach to make use of a timer.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back before the election I was displaying random pro-Kerry banners in the header area of my blog. These banners were selected randomly on page load. An article describing how I did it is here: http://unbecominglevity.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/10/26/166856.html

That is a neat trick. Thanks for sharing that.

So I need a place to store the banner images. I think I can handle this internally through blogharbor's file manager, right?

Yes, that would be the way to do it.

Of course, what would be REALLY dreamy is to be able to introduce different sets of commercial banners on different sections of a blog, matching the subject matter of the section with that of the commercial banner...

You could actually use our macro language to show a different set of code depending on the category. This thread has a little bit more on the idea...

You could create a component that uses this kind of code:

Code:
{{if category.label eq "Main Page"}}
  Home Page Banner Code Goes Here
{{elsif category.label eq "Photo Album"}}
  Banner Code for another Category Goes Here
{{else}}
  Put some other Banner Code here
{{/if}}

How's that for dreamy... Wink
ojedapaco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Dreamy? This is dreamy! Reply with quote

John, your response time alone makes the entrance fee worthwhile!

You guys are great, providing all sorts of links to useful articles, how-to files, etc.

I'm very impressed!

Cheers,

Paco
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: