BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Major Newbie Questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adameason

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Major Newbie Questions.... Reply with quote

Hello,

Am just finding my way around, am very new to this, so please excuse my naivety.

I want to add further text to the name of my blog. On the Header it just has Adam Eason (which is the name of my Blog, I am my own product). If I want to add some further text so that it reads "Adam Eason; Personal Development & NLP etc, etc" How do I do that?

Secondly, I want to have a welcome message for everyone, visitor or registered that explains what the blog is all about. Again, any layman instructions on how to do this will be greatly received.

I have been ploughing through previous questions and will get there in the end.

My blog address; http://adam-eason.blogharbor.com/

Many thanks, Adam.

Adam Eason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Newbie Questions.... Reply with quote

Am just finding my way around, am very new to this, so please excuse my naivety.

No need to apologize. Welcome aboard.

I want to add further text to the name of my blog. On the Header it just has Adam Eason (which is the name of my Blog, I am my own product). If I want to add some further text so that it reads "Adam Eason; Personal Development & NLP etc, etc" How do I do that?

You can customize the Blog Name component:

Login to your blog control panel and click on the Look & Feel tab, then on the Layout tab below it.

You'll come to the Layout manager, and see a new set of tabs for:

Columns
Header
Footer
Components

Click on the Components tab. The page that you will see will have a list of System Components. We're going to modify the Blog Name component, so click on Customize on the Blog Name row.

The standard Blog Name component contains the following:

Code:
<div class="component">
<div class="componentBlogname">
<a href="{{blog.url}}">{{blog.name}}</a></div>
</div>

Change it to this for example:

Code:
<div class="component">
<div class="componentBlogname">
<a href="{{blog.url}}">{{blog.name}}</a></div>
<div style="color: black;">Adam Eason; Personal Development & NLP etc, etc</div>
</div>

and click the Add Component button.

Now you have created a new custom Blog Name component which can be used in place of the standard component. You'll need to remove the standard component from your layout and add in this customized one by clicking the Header tab and dragging the Blog Name component from its current location in the Left Column to the Inactive column, and dragging the Custom Blog Name component to your Left Column. Click Save, and that should do it.

Seems like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it you'll see how creating new and customizing existing components gives you great flexibility in modifying your blog's layout.

This page also has some tips on modifying the Blog Name component to use an image instead of the text of your blog name.

Secondly, I want to have a welcome message for everyone, visitor or registered that explains what the blog is all about. Again, any layman instructions on how to do this will be greatly received.

I would suggest you first create a page containing your instructions. i would do this as a Web Page document, which is a special type of post to your weblog. A Web Page does not appear as part of a category, and does not have a date or author shown, the content is entirely controlled by you. They are great for About pages or Contact Us type pages which are not really suitablee as blog articles. See this section in the manual on the topic of Web Pages:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/12/24/214202.html

Once you have created your Web Page, you will need to draw your visitors attention to it: Create a custom component containing text and a link to your new Web Page and add it to your blog's sidebar.
adameason

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Many thanks indeed. You can see that I have made some major changes and am feeling really happy with my blog. Quite a steep learning curve, but very enjoyable and worthwhile.

Again, many thanks.

Adam Eason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: