BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Editing font-size of Article Title

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meinung

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Editing font-size of Article Title Reply with quote

how does one change the font-size of the Article Title. At present, my beginner blog (http://opinionsunlimited.blogharbor.com/blog) has different font-sizes (actually, just two, small and larger). does anyone have some helpful advice for me on this?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing font-size of Article Title Reply with quote

The reason you have 2 different sizes for the article titles in your Main Page has to do with the excerpts for your articles.

When you paste in or create HTML formatted text using the Rich Text Editor and also check the Automatically generate excerpt (First 20 words) box for Excerpts, the system will create an Excerpt (which is what appears on the main page) for you. But the system is not smart enough to know the excerpt opened an HTML tag like <FONT> and did not close it... Which is what happened on at least one of your posts (US Intelligence Reform).

If you are posting with HTML using the Rich Text Editor, the first 20 words may contain an opening HTML tag, the closing tag for which comes after the first 20 words, so the result when choosing the automatic excerpts function is a web page that "looks wrong". Maybe there was an opening <FONT> tag in the first 20 words, and the closing </FONT> tag in the last 20; now your site's HTML will be incorrect as the excerpt had HTML which was unbalanced.

When you post an article which uses HTML, it is best NOT to choose the Automatically generate excerpt (First 20 words) option for Excerpts (Article Summaries). Create your own summary instead.

You should be able to make your home page look correct by editing the articles on the home page - just go through them and manually edit your article summaries, removing the HTML tags which are not closed, and you should be able to fix it all up quickly.

Hope this explains it, let us know if you have any questions about the process.

Once you're all fixed up, if you're looking to change the style of the Article Titles globally, let us know...
roaring tiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: don't think i'm auto-excerpting Reply with quote

Hi John,

As I mentioned in a separate post, I'm having problems with getting italicizing too. I don't have auto-excerpts turned on though (at least not that I see).

I get the italics in both my header and in the excerpt body.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I manually create the excerpt.

Once I've written the content and formatted it the way I want, I go to the HTML code and copy/paste the section I want. Maybe I'm not grabbing some closing code?

I need more advice on this, oh wise one. And if my excerpt process is part of the problem, maybe you could advise on a better method. What I want to do in my excerpts is to show the same content in the short chunk (rather than write a new summary). I want folks to be able to continue reading the content they started when they go to "more."

Thanks for your help.

RT
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: don't think i'm auto-excerpting Reply with quote

This is almost always about entering unbalanced HTML, either in an excerpt or in the body of an article with no excerpt.

Maybe I'm not grabbing some closing code?

From what I see on your blog, that's exactly correct. You're missing some closing HTML tags in your excerpt. Edit it (always check the first article above where the problem appears) to remove or balance HTML tags and your problem should go away.

And if my excerpt process is part of the problem, maybe you could advise on a better method.

I don't have any particular sugggestions, except to say Make sure your HTML is balanced. Wink
Roaring Tiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: hmmm...part of problem is Foxfire Reply with quote

Hi John,

I think part of my italics problem is Foxfire. Some of my excerpts are italicized in Foxfire but not in IE.

Know Foxfire is new and not as big as IE but do you have any plans to make BlogHarbor be Foxfire compatible? I'm asking mainly because I like it better than IE. Wink

That said, though, I notice that some of my titles are still italicized and when the excerpt isn't. How do I fix those?

Thanks!
RT
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm...part of problem is Foxfire Reply with quote

I think part of my italics problem is Foxfire. Some of my excerpts are italicized in Foxfire but not in IE.

Your italics problem is caused by HTML, not by Firefox.

Know Foxfire is new and not as big as IE but do you have any plans to make BlogHarbor be Foxfire compatible? I'm asking mainly because I like it better than IE. Wink

We all like Firefox better than IE, and our service is quite compatible with Firefox and Mozilla. Again, the problem is your HTML in your excerpt, and not with the browser.

That said, though, I notice that some of my titles are still italicized and when the excerpt isn't. How do I fix those?

As I said earlier:

Quote:
You're missing some closing HTML tags in your excerpt. Edit it (always check the first article above where the problem appears) to remove or balance HTML tags and your problem should go away.

Look for the first article above where the problem appears. You'll find an excerpt which contains a <BLOCKQUOTE> to start but no </BLOCKQUOTE> to finish. That's what's causing your italics, delete it and your problem should go away.

Last edited by john on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
roaring tiger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: can't find the problem Reply with quote

Hi John,

Sorry to keep bugging you on this italics problem but I still can't find the cause. I'm only getting italics on the main page and only on dates older than "today." I don't have an italics problems once I drill into a category and look at the articles from there. I also don't have an italics problem when I drill into the permalink view on any individual article.

As of today, I looked at both the first and last article on the main page where italics show throughout the article and neither one even had excerpts. I double checked them and don't see any open code marks.

I think the problem is related to the main page.

Your thoughts on the next best fix approach?

RT
roaring tiger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: never mind -- stupid user mistake Reply with quote

Duh. Found my mistake and, as usual, you were bang on.

Going away for now.

Rolling Eyes
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: