BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Domains and Logings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

I notice that now that my blog is accessable via blog.paulskinner.net I seem to have to log in each time I navigate to another category or attempt to view a profile by clicking on a link to someone who has left a comment. Is this a cookie problem? I use Firefox but IE has the same result. I have removed all relevant cookies thinking that starting again would be an idea. I now have a blog.paulskinner.net cookie but no login.paulskinner.net or login.blogharbor.com. Should there be one?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

I notice that now that my blog is accessable via blog.paulskinner.net I seem to have to log in each time I navigate to another category or attempt to view a profile by clicking on a link to someone who has left a comment.

I do not see this... Navigating your blog doees not prompt me for a login on any of the browsers I try.

I have removed all relevant cookies thinking that starting again would be an idea. I now have a blog.paulskinner.net cookie but no login.paulskinner.net or login.blogharbor.com. Should there be one?

There might be a cookie from login.blogharbor.com if you authenticated yourself to your blog by logging in from the "Login" box on the top right of your sidebar. However, whether you have done so or not should not cause the system to prompt you for a login as you browse your blog.
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not see this... Navigating your blog doees not prompt me for a login on any of the browsers I try.

Acutally I am not prompted, except on restricted categories. However, the login status as shown in the component you mention implies I am logged out.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

Paul Skinner wrote:
...the login status as shown in the component you mention implies I am logged out.

Then you would in fact be logged out... Login again, and you will be, er, logged in...

Keep in mind that being logged into the control panel and is not the same as being logged in to your blog. For technical reasons universal to all web services (the fact that one domain can not read another domain's cookie) the control panel can not know that you have logged into your blog and vice versa. Which means you as the weblog owner have to login, to authenticate, to both systems.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

Hi John
I apologise that I rushed my explanation as to what was happening. I have a little more time now...
In reverse order...
Quote:
Keep in mind that being logged into the control panel and is not the same as being logged in to your blog....

Yes, I am entirely happy Very Happy with that and appreciate that Control Panel and blog need separate logins
Quote:
[quote="john"]
Paul Skinner wrote:
...the login status as shown in the component you mention implies I am logged out.

Then you would in fact be logged out... Login again, and you will be, er, logged in...

Ah yes... but... but... What happened before the URL change was that having logged in once to the blog via the component @ top right, I would remain logged in regardless of navigating away to another page/category/photoalbum etc and I remained logged in from day to day. Very nice Smile

What happens now (and this bit is new information) is that if I am logged in at the "Main Page" found at http://blog.paulskinner.net/blog and if I close my browser and reopen it, it will arrive at the page logged in (my firefox config remembers the last page). Also very nice...

However, if I go to any other page within the blog the status when the page is displayed is always logged out, and if I login again to that page, close the browser and reopen it, I am logged out again. Very bad Mad

So, it's the cookie is only working on the "main page" but on none of the others. Do you agree? Do you get the same thing?
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah yes... but... but... What happened before the URL change.....

I have just realised I can log into other peoples blogs to prove the problem a bit more...

No problem with:-
http://pierrotsfolly.blogharbor.com
http://cheznadezhda.blogharbor.com
(hmmm... both with their original urls)
(all chosen from the recently update blogs list)

I do have the problem with: -

http://dissidentvox.blogware.com
http://www.theprivetteschool.org
http://www.messengerpuppet.com
(also chosen from the recently update blogs list)

Does this help?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

So, it's the cookie is only working on the "main page" but on none of the others. Do you agree? Do you get the same thing?

No, I don't get the same thing... Once I am logged into your blog I am logged in and can visit every page and see that I am still logged in on every page.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

I have just realised I can log into other peoples blogs to prove the problem a bit more...

I went to all those blogs and logged in and they all worked as they were supposed to...

The common thread here seems to be that *.blogharbor.com addresses work for you and other addresses do not. My guess is that you have configured your browser to accept cookies from our blogharbor.com domain but automatically reject cookies from other domains...

If you want to login to blog.paulskinner.net, you have to accept a cookie from blog.paulskinner.net . If you want to login to www.messengerpuppet.com, you have to accept cookies from www.messengerpuppet.com...

You seem to a sophisticated security conscious user, and I bet you have configured your browser not to accept cookies. You've probably configured your browser to accept blogharbor.com cookies, which allows you to access the control panel, but are rejecting other cookies. Allow your browser to prompt for cookies, and you'll see that logging into these blogs will function properly if you allow the browser to set a cookie.
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

Quote:
I went to all those blogs and logged in and they all worked as they were supposed to...

I now find that on another PC (at work) everything works fine.
Quote:
The common thread here seems to be that *.blogharbor.com addresses work for you and other addresses do not.
yes I had thought that.
Quote:
My guess is that you have configured your browser to accept cookies from our blogharbor.com domain but automatically reject cookies from other domains...
I have the browser prompt me for each domain and then remember the choice for next time. I have tried removing all of these settings and the cookies and starting again but to no avail.

I have just thought..I wonder whether there are any firewall issues? I will play later when I get home. Many thanks John so far. I reaslise this is taking a lot of your time
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

I have just thought..I wonder whether there are any firewall issues? I will play later when I get home.

Do you run a personal firewall at home? Norton?
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

john wrote:
Do you run a personal firewall at home? Norton?

Yes, Zonealarm
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, Zonealarm

... and that was the problem. I needed to add blog.paulskinner.net as a Trusted Zone and re-start the browser and all is now well.

John thanks for all your help. I hope this may be of some benefit to others.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Domains and Logings Reply with quote

Paul Skinner wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Zonealarm

... and that was the problem. I needed to add blog.paulskinner.net as a Trusted Zone and re-start the browser and all is now well.
Very Happy

That later turned out to be insufficient (it was fine to start with but wasn't persistent). Currently it seems to work persistently if users.blogware.com is added to the Zonealarm site list (in the Privacy tab) with 3rd Party cookies and Private Headers enabled. OK so I am like a dog with a bone but so what! Woof
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: