BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
importing from another blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: importing from another blog Reply with quote

suppose I want to import some articles from one blogharbor blog to another, can i use the import export feature? or do i have to cut and paste everything?
bobdole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: help me Reply with quote

bob dole needs some answers..
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: help me Reply with quote

bobdole wrote:
bob dole needs some answers..

Sorry for the delay, Bob. Wink

No, there is no feature which allows you to import from one BlogHarbor weblog to another. You can download an XML-formatted Export file, but it is not possible to re-import that back into another weblog.

You can download the XML export from Settings & Security > Import/Export.
bobdole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: re: export Reply with quote

john wrote:
You can download an XML-formatted Export file, but it is not possible to re-import that back into another weblog.

so then what can i do with an xml export file? anything? can it be easily modified so i can re-import it? or is it just a cute way of keeping copies of your blog articles?
bobdole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: aww man Reply with quote

i guess i just can't win..
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: re: export Reply with quote

so then what can i do with an xml export file? anything? can it be easily modified so i can re-import it? or is it just a cute way of keeping copies of your blog articles?

Well, XML is a very powerful, flexible, and widely deployed file format. It may indeed be cute as well.

We do not provide the XML formatted export file for the purpose of re-importing it back into another BlogHarbor weblog; we provide you with the capability to export your blog articles in XML so that you can transform the data into a format that can be recognized by other applications.

There are a variety of methods which can be used to transform the data contained in an XML format; you can use XSL Transformations or a scripting language like Perl.

If you want to close down one blog and open a new one and reuse some of the articles, there's no need to do an export and import. You can just contact us and we can help you change the address of the blog.
bobdole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: interesting stuff Reply with quote

very interesting. thanks for the info
Richard McKinnon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Blog to Website Reply with quote

So does that mean I can start blogging on Blogharbor, put up a ton of material then make a decision to transform it into a full website? ie transform some of the posts into permanent material?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blog to Website Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by that question, your blog is a full website, and it is permanent material... Can you clarify the question?
Richard McKinnon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point I'd like to transform some of the material into a static archive and present it in a different way. (And this may be possible already but I may be unable to get past the current templates/html/format of main page article - comment- reply- cateogory style) And that may me reclustering articles, moving some to chagne the order rader can access them etc.

My assumption has been that reordering and representing is difficult with the way the blog is currently set up.
Richard McKinnon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, in extension of the previous post, there is material (reference) I don't need to blog that I'd like to locate with the blog material. and I want do it in a seamless way. Hence the thought that I might to take some blogged material elsewhere and thenassemble a website, or, import static info/pictures / whatever to create something new.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard McKinnon wrote:
At some point I'd like to transform some of the material into a static archive and present it in a different way. (And this may be possible already but I may be unable to get past the current templates/html/format of main page article - comment- reply- cateogory style) And that may me reclustering articles, moving some to chagne the order rader can access them etc. My assumption has been that reordering and representing is difficult with the way the blog is currently set up.

That's a tough question to try and parse... My apologies in advance if I don't answer the question you are asking. Here's what I can say:
  • It is possible to change the category to which you have posted any article, even after you have posted the article.
  • It's also possible to reorder posts by changing their posting date.
  • You can also export your content to an XML file.
If you there's something specifically you want to know, please try and clarify and we'll be glad to help.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard McKinnon wrote:
In addition, in extension of the previous post, there is material (reference) I don't need to blog that I'd like to locate with the blog material. and I want do it in a seamless way. Hence the thought that I might to take some blogged material elsewhere and thenassemble a website, or, import static info/pictures / whatever to create something new.

if I understand the question correctly, you may want to try our "Web Page" feature which creates a page incorporating your current look and feel, but is not an article per se:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/12/24/214201.html

Please let us know if you were looking for something else.
Richard McKinnon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice.

The problem is absolutely no familiarity at all, Zip, Nada with html and web design so I'm struggling. Anyway, in essence, what I want to do (at some stage) is start to remove the chronolgy from the blog and organise it diffferently, say by individualised topics as well as categories. With linkages across and down throught the material. And then by introducing new material build a really useable site from this mix of blog originating material as well as other sourced stuff.

The linking to a favourites list sort of answers that but not quite. And the xml solution is also somewhat helpful. Good work.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to using Categories to organize your content, please try also using Keywords. Some folks find keywords far more useful than Categories, and together Keywords and Categories together can work really well to organize your posts.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: