BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Body text won't post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Body text won't post Reply with quote

I tried to search to see if other people were having this problem but I didn't notice anything right away...sorry if this is a duplicate post.

This problem has been happening for some time now (maybe a month or two but I'm not exactly sure) and I found a work around but now my work around isn't working. Basically whenever I post anything from the website the body text of my post disappears from my page when I post it. When I click back into the post in the administration area the body text is indeed gone, even after I save, preview, or whatever. After I lost several posts I configured my w.bloggar software to post to BlogHarbor (I believe I was using it for just saving posts that I was working on or for another blog service before, but I used to mainly use the website for posting). This has been working fine until yesterday. Now I'm getting some HTTP error. I decided to try out posting from the website instead and the disappearing post problem is still happening over there.

I guess now that I have no other options for posting to my site I'm kinda bummed. Is there a way I can either fix the problems happening on the website and/or the problem with w.bloggar so I can post again.

Heidi
http://www.heidigoseek.com/
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Body text won't post Reply with quote

Basically whenever I post anything from the website the body text of my post disappears from my page when I post it.

I haven't seen this one recently. Can you tell us more about the scenario which causes this? What browser are you using on what kind of operating system? Are you entering the text directly into the editor or copying and pasting from another document? Are you copying and pasting from Word? Is the Rich Text Editor enabled or disabled?

I configured my w.bloggar software to post to BlogHarbor (I believe I was using it for just saving posts that I was working on or for another blog service before, but I used to mainly use the website for posting). This has been working fine until yesterday. Now I'm getting some HTTP error.

If you have this kind of problem can you please send us the error and any other information such as what time you received the error and any logs or transcripts if the blogging tool provides them?

We have been seeing some occasional errors with blog client software, we have an upgrade coming up which should take care of things; your feedback will ensure that we do solve the problems you are seeing.
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
I sent my response about w.bloggar as requested, here is the scenario with the first part of my dilemma though:

Quote:
Can you tell us more about the scenario which causes this?

The scenario is anytime I post. I've tried different things to see if I can get text to post but nothing seems to be working. It's only body text that doesn't post too, my titles will post, and the post will show up in my administration area but when I go back in all body text is gone.

Quote:
What browser are you using on what kind of operating system?

I use Firefox 1.0.6 and Windows XP. I haven't tried posting on IE to see if it is my browser yet though.

Quote:
Are you entering the text directly into the editor or copying and pasting from another document?

I am entering text directly, but I've also tried copy and paste. Since my posts have been disappearing I've started using w.bloggar, yesterday when w.bloggar wasn't working I copied and pasted into the screen and the same thing. I went back into the post when I discovered no body text on my website and tried another paste and it still didn't work.

Quote:
Are you copying and pasting from Word?

No

Quote:
Is the Rich Text Editor enabled or disabled?

When this first started happening I switched my settings to enable the Rich Text Editor (I usually have it disabled), it didn't work either way.

I hope this helps some, let me know if you have other questions. I'll try a post from IE to see if that works.
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Browser may be it... Reply with quote

I just made a successful post using Internet Explorer 6.0 Sad I'm sad because I hate using IE. I haven't been making posts to my site for awhile so I'm not sure if it's really been not working since I upgraded my Firefox Browser or not.

It has worked in previous Firefox versions...is this something that's fixable?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Browser may be it... Reply with quote

I use Firefox 1.0.6 and Windows XP.

I just tested using this combo, and the body of a post is going through fine for me. We haven't had any other reports of this problem, so it's very curious. Did you install any Firefox extensions before the problem started, Greasemonkey or anything like that?

I'll file this so we can see if other folks report something similar we can try to correlate and find out if this is unique to your browser or not...
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Greasemonkey this past week and I know this post problem has been happening for awhile now. Anyway I don't think Greasemonkey is the problem. I haven't done much with it yet either, I've just installed one script for Netflix.

About the time I upgraded Firefox I had to reinstall all of my extensions. Since this isn't the first time this has happened I actually posted a list of all of my extensions with links to the sites so I could easily find which ones they were again...here's that post from March, this is obviously when I upgraded Firefox.

http://www.heidigoseek.com/blog/_archives/2005/3/18/452351.html

This is actually a pretty comprehensive list, the only ones I've added since then are Greasemonkey (this week), AdBlock, and FlashBlock. I added AdBlock and FlashBlock the same day and it was probably a week or two ago, well after I had already been experiencing problems with BlogHarbor.

Also I did a search for w.bloggar on my blog and while I don't know for sure, I think I've been experiencing the disappearing post syndrome a lot longer than a few months. I still can't pinpoint the exact time that I started using w.bloggar instead of posting online but I did do a test post for w.bloggar on February 15. I've had the software installed on my computer for some time but I was using it for other blog clients previously...this could mean I have been experiencing the disappearing posts since then though, but then again it could also mean that I was just bored and wanted to figure out how to get w.bloggar to work with BlogHarbor. I wish I would've documented that now though.

I hope some of this helps...at least I know I can post with IE though.

Thanks again for your help John.

As for w.bloggar, I just tried posting something and it went through so it's probably those back end problems you've mentioned in the support request. I'll let you know if I experience any other problems with it.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I guess Greasemonkey is not the issue...

As I mentioned, we are tracking some posting problems that will occur either with the control panel or with a blogging client like w.bloggar; we're working on a permanent fix to this issue and hope to have a maintenance soon to make this fix.

That being said, your issue with posting using Firefox and getting blank articles is not something we have seen before, so it does look like a separate issue and one we have not been able to duplicate.

We'll be working on the former issue and if we find something causing the latter in the meantime, we'll be sure and let you know.
zoli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for butting in, but I have similar problems, and thought it would make sense to post here, in case they are related.

A few times in the past I lost the body of a previously existing post after editing it again - I always wondered, but could never be sure I did not accidentally hit delete. Now I know all the circumstances, and it is reproducible.

Browser: Firefox 1.07 (same with earlier versions). OS: WinXP.
Display the blog post in the Permalink view.
Click Edit entry in the upper right corner.
On the edit screen the article edit window is entirely missing. The excerpt window and all other screen components are there.
Save the post.
Display blog>>> article body is missing, title, and the comments. trackback .. etc line are there.

In all cases it happened I wanted to edit something else but the body, e.g. add a trackback link, a category ..etc - hence I didn't notice the window was missing.

These are the only circumstances the bug occurs; i.e. using IE6 in the same scenario, or using Firefox but coming from the Admin Panel does not result in the same problem.

Thanks,
Zoli
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I can not reproduce this with the same configuration you are using... I just downloaded and installed fresh copy of Firefox 1.07 on my Win XP laptop, and followed the steps you outlined and I do see the article body, and it is not lost when I click Save. I can't seem to reproduce this issue...

Do you happen to use any firewall software? Norton perhaps? We've seen some cases where users who set firewalls such as Norton to more restrictive settings see strange results, as the firewall seems to selectively allow some content into the browser and not other content. This results in the browser never getting the page it is supposed to, and sending back form results which are incomplete... Any chance you're using a Norton firewall?
zoli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just switched from Norton to Mcafee a few days ago, so now I ran a test, disabled McAfee and got the same results... don't know what else to do, I don't suppose there is any kinda log I can send you?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just switched from Norton to Mcafee a few days ago, so now I ran a test, disabled McAfee and got the same results... don't know what else to do, I don't suppose there is any kinda log I can send you?

I will have our developers take a look at this to see if they can see anything that might cause this. One question, are you using SP2 on Win XP?

You say that when you access the Edit Article page by clicking the Edit Article link from the permalink itself, you see this issue. Do you not see this issue when you login from our Login page and access the Edit Article page in that fashion?
zoli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, to all, John.

If I go through the Blogharbor Admin panel, > Post Manager > selct the post to edit, everthing is fine. The problem only occurs when I switch to Edit from displaying my blog article using the Edit link in the upper right corner.

Yes, XP SP2.

Thanks,
Zoli
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to your incredible cooperation, we were able to determine that your issue was related to the use of the Firefox NoScript extension which was not configured to allow our service to send you the data necessary to display the blog editor properly and changing the permissions of your Firefox extension solved this problem. Thanks again for your help in tracking this down.
nightowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Having Body article posting problems as well Reply with quote

Just signed up a few days ago. After a number of flawless postings yesterday, today I can't post any article body text.

This does NOT seem to be a browser issue since I've tried both on IE and FireFox and get the same result. I'm using WIndows XP pro.

Thanks
nightowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

I believe I figure out the issue (at least with me).

For some reason a faulty img tag as the beginning of the post was negating the following text.

Working fine now.

For anyone else haveing problems, check your img coding.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: