BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adding Custom Content to Articles and Article Pages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Tigersi, I'll try it out.

But I have a question: in your code, you use "includes/Google/GoogleArticleTop300x250.htm"

What does this mean? I guess the htm file is the table you created in Dreamweaver? Can I upload/include it in my blog?

The only things I've changed at my blog are some components and the Technorati tags, i'm not very good at these custom changes...

Why isn't it possible to just enter the Adsense code right into your article where you want the ads to show up? If I include them, I just see the code in my blog

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

Regards

Christof
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very, very much! This works great!

It will greatly increase my Adsense income, as the ads in the upper left corner get a much bigger CTR than just adsense on the right next to the article.

Thanks again, keep up the good work and all the best with your blogs!
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the ads are only shown when I click on the "permanent link" link.
Is there a way so every article gets this layout?

when you take a look at my blog http://gezondheid.blogharbor.com ,you only see adsense on the right. In the upper left corner is only shown when you click the permanent link...

Thanks again
tigersi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: follow up -- about the file name Reply with quote

To answer your questions from your various recent posts...

About "includes/Google/GoogleArticleTop300x250.htm"

I like to keep my BlogHarbor File Manager organized because I make so many file uploads to it. I created a directory "includes" and then a subdirectory under it called "Google." You just need to indicate where the file is located in your File Manager.

The "GoogleArticleTop300x250.htm" is the name of the file I created that contains my Google AdSense code. I elected to set up a table because for me its easier to work with because I can make changes to the table to create the results I want. You don't have to though. If you don't have an HTML editor, then you should be able to copy the Google AdSense code into a TXT file (use something like Notepad and not Word).

The 300x250 refers to the selected Google ad size. In the code I inserted into my article template (which I got from John!), shown again here....

Code:
<div class="article">
<div style="float:left;width:320px;height:270px;">
{{include name="includes/Google/GoogleArticleTop300x250.htm"}}
</div>

You'll notice the "div style" shows a float dimension with a width of 320px and a height of 270px. That is a little bigger than the 320x250 Google ad so there's some white space between the ad and the article content. If you change the size of the Google ad, then you'll want to change the float dimensions too.

Paste Google Adsense code directly into the article template...

If you prefer, you can also copy the Google Adsense code directly into the article template. The reason I don't is because I make periodic tweaks to my ads. When I do, I change the HTM file with the code and upload the new file to my file manager. I find it easier to do that, then mess with the article template too much.

If you want to insert the Google code directly into the article template, then it should work like this...

Code:
<div class="article">
<div style="float:left;width:320px;height:270px;">
     insert Google code here...
</div>

I haven't tried it that way but it should work.

For convenience, I'll continue answering your other question in a separate post.
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start to get it... Smile

the includes make it very easy to modify all posts once, right?
Can you include as much htm files as you want, or should it be 1 template you create in dreamweaver?
tigersi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: follow up -- ads in every article Reply with quote

Quote:
I see the ads are only shown when I click on the "permanent link" link. Is there a way so every article gets this layout?

Not sure what you mean by this question but think you might be asking if you can have the ad show on the main page and also be embedded in every article?

The answer is a partial yes. Yes, you can have the Google ad show at the top or bottom of the main page -- and also in every article once it's opened via the permalink (or Read More). No, I don't think you can have the ad show in every article in the Main Page using BlogHarbor templates. Or rather, I haven't found out how to.

See my blog for an example of what I'm talking about and look at the 468x60 Chitika ad at the top of the center column on the Main Page. Then open any article via either "Read More" or the permalink and you'll see a similar Chitika ad above the title of the article.

Approach #1: Show an ad in the center column of the Main Page and individual open articles...

You'll need to change the base template and can use an approach I used to insert a Chitika ad in my blog.

Look for this code in the section below...
Code:
{{include name="includes/Chitika/chitika_ad_468x60_electronic_sw_oil.htm"}}

I should note that before you start making changes to your templates, copy and save the template code in a separate file as a back up. That way, if you screw up or don't like the result, you have a copy of the pre-change code to fall back on.

Here's the code where you insert the include file...

Code:
{{if article.access_denied}}
<div class="message">
The entry you are requesting has restricted viewing privileges.
{{if authenticated}}
  {{if blog.allow_access_requests}}
  To request access to this entry <a href="{{article.request_access_url}}">click here</a>.
  {{/if}}
{{else}}
  Please login or <a href="{{users_signup_url}}">signup</a> for a new blogware account.
{{/if}} <!-- if authenticated -->
</div>
{{/if}} <!-- if article.access_denied -->

{{include name="includes/Chitika/chitika_ad_468x60_electronic_sw_oil.htm"}}

I have a lot of Chitika ads and created separate files for them so I can do some randomizing. In my code above, "chitika_ad_468x60_electronic_sw_oil.htm" is just the name I used to identify one of the Chitika ads.

Substitute the file location and name for your Google ad. You should also be able to paste the Google code directly into the base template.

This will allow you to have a Google ad in the main page -- above the title of the first article and above the title of every permalink article.

BTW, I used this approach with Chitika because I wanted to have different noncontextual ads show for different categories (with Google I use contextual ads. With Chitika I used keywords to call up certain types of ads). If you want to do randomization of noncontextual ads, then I wrote up notes of how I accomplished that in this thread...

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?t=1593

Approach #2:

You can also create a component with your Google code and insert it into your header. You may have to play with this a bit, though, because BlogHarbor header components aren't as flexible with placement.

For example, in your blog, it looks like you have a component(s) on the right column of your header with Home and Subscribe. If you try to insert a component with your Google ad in the center column, it will probably align with blog name (and Home and Subscribe) which you may not want.

A workaround may be to create an "empty" component, populated with spaces that you insert into the center header column, then place your Google ad component below that.

The HTML code for blank spaces is

Code:
&nbsp

Approach #3: Use excerpts

With this approach, you don't have to make any new changes to any BlogHarbor templates. All you need to is to start using excerpts.

The value of excerpts is that it requires folks to open your article to read it in its entirety -- which means they will then be exposed to your article ads.

Another benefit is that excerpts prevent fake blogs from stealing your content. These types of blogs usually do glorified screen scraping. Thus, if you show an article's full content on the Main Page, then the fakers can get your whole article and profit from your work product.

Lastly, using excerpts will lower your bandwidth which will benefit you as your traffic grows.

You can either use automatic excerpting so do like I do and manually create them (I do it manually because I want to choose the break point for maximum effect).

BTW, you can combine excerpts with either Approach #1 or #2.

Summary

Each option limitiations. You'll need to decide which as the most pluses and the least minuses for your goals.

I'm just an HTML hack and if any real HTML geeks have other, better alternatives, please share! Very Happy
tigersi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: using includes Reply with quote

I use includes because it's much easier to update ads by files rather than change code within the templates. I try to stay out of the templates as much as I can.

I find it easier to create individual ads and save them to separate files. Then I can add them into the blog at will.

If you looked into my File Manger, you'd see a variety of Google ads of different sizes (and a variety of Chitika ads too!). It's because I use different sized ads in different places.

For simplicity, I like to create them in Dreamweaver, an HTML editor because I can insert them into tables, change the table formatting for alignment and such and preview results. You can use TXT files (use Notepad) if you prefer.

I then use include statements in either components or in BlogHarbor template code.

If you have a lot of files to upload, then you may find it easie to FTP them up to your BlogHarbor File Manager. Open your File Manager and scroll down to get the FTP login instructions for your blog.

At the bottom of the File Manager is a snippet of code with the include statement syntax...
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, what should I do without you? Smile

Thanks for your very detailed explanation, it all makes sense now Smile
tigersi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: no problem Reply with quote

No problem. Someone showed me these tricks...and several came from John which I refined to my needs...so I'm just passing along the help.
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more very silly question: I want to have my hompage like yours, with the "read more..." option, but I can't see where i can change this?

Is this some setting I have to change? I've looked into all settings, but it seems I can't find it :s

Thanks!
tigersi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Google AdSense references Reply with quote

Here are a couple of bloggers who have a wealth of Google AdSense (and other affiliate marketing program) tips...

http://problogger.net/

and

http://www.jensense.com/
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The include function works very well!
Take a look at my page now, the adsense is there, but it seems just like it's part of my blog Wink

http://gezondheid.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2005/10/6/1283745.html

Thank you, this is just what i needed Smile
tigersi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Looks good Reply with quote

Looks good!
Netsense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tell me how you set up the short articles on your homepage, with the "read more..." function in it?

Do you set this up manually?
tigersi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: excerpts Reply with quote

The short articles you referred to are the excerpts I mentioned in one of my posts above.

To auto-generate excerpts using built-in BlogHarbor tools:

Login to your BlogHarbor admin.
Go to Settings / Posts.
Click on the option "Auto-generate excerpts."

Go to Settings / Advanced.
Scroll down to Excerpts section and check off what's applicable for you. You can also set your maximum number of words in the excerpt.

To manually generate excerpts from withing BlogHarbor editor:

After you write your post, click on to "Source" if you're writing in the BlogHarbor editor.

Copy as much code as you want to include in the except.

Paste the code into the excerpt section. Important! Be sure to close any open code and in the same order as the code is opened. What I have to close typically includes:
    italics (opened with <em> and closed with </em>),
    paragraphs (opened with <p> and closed with </p>), and
    blockquotes where you have indented content (opened with <blockquote> and closed with </blockquote>).

For example, for this post at:
http://bigcatchronicles.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2005/10/4/1280226.html

The excerpt code looks like this...

Code:
<p dir="ltr">Interior Secretary Gale Norton released a Gulf of Mexico Energy Status report today,</p><blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr"><p dir="ltr"><em>Of the <strong>4,000 platforms</strong> that the Mineral Management Service administers, 3,050 platforms were in the path of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita...(con't) </em></p></blockquote>

I manually added "...(con't) </em></p></blockquote>" because I stopped in the middle of the paragraph.

If you don't want to make the manual addition of the code, then just be sure to pick a stopping point where the code is closed off (I don't always do that which is why I often add the ending code).

Also, as a preference, I add "con't" so folks reading an excerpt in an RSS aggregator will know there's more article content (the "Read More" link doesn't go through the with the article).

To manually generate excerpts from within BlogJet editor:

Similar concept to above but you do your cutting and pasting within the BlogJet application.

Copy the code from the tab labeled "Code" and paste into the tab labeled Properties and within the excerpt box.

Note with BlogJet...the keywords don't work very well. At least not for me so I still open the BlogHarbor editor to be sure that I add in the keywords and to double-check that my trackbacks have been added.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: