BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Podcast bandwidth costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWB43isGreat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Podcast bandwidth costs Reply with quote

I see that if I get a blog here, it will support podcasting. That is really great because I want to do that.

BUT: I am scared to death of the bandwidth cost. I am a college student and can't afford to end up with a huge bill because of bandwidth.

My friend who has one of these blogs tells me that I can limit the bandwidth, but, that limits who can listen.

Now - sorry if this seems like cheating or something: There are podcasting services that are a lot cheaper on the bandwidth than this blogging system.

But, the problem is that the podcasting services don't really ahve a blog setup - which I want as well.

So, here''s the cheating part: Is it possible to setup a podcast on one of these blogs and store the mp3 file somewhere else with cheaper bandwidtch charges?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Podcast bandwidth costs Reply with quote

Is it possible to setup a podcast on one of these blogs and store the mp3 file somewhere else with cheaper bandwidtch charges?

They key to this scenario is ensuring that your RSS feed contains your podcast as an enclosure even though you have not used our system to add the file as an attachment.

What you would need to do in order to make this happen is to use the free Feedburner service to enhance your BlogHarbor RSS feed. Feedburner can splice into your RSS feed an MP3 file you store elsewhere, so your blog is hosted here, but your RSS feed points to a podcast file hosted elsewhere.

It's a little bit of work, but not rocket science: complete details on swapping in a Feedburner feed are located here.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: