BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
integrating webpages within the blog site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: integrating webpages within the blog site Reply with quote

I'm new to this espescialy when it comes to defining layouts and manipulating CSS. Anyway, over the last couple of months we have taken our blog as far as our knowledge will let us.

What we really want to do is define a few web pages that aren't in the standard blog layout and then integrate them with the blog. Ideally, (look at www.bucks-rfc.com) we would like a home page (main page) that displays in the centre column only the most recent article published, and we can manipulate (change) the side column components as well as header and footer as we see fit?

The goal is a static homepage that displays permanent links to other static webpages and the latest post and leave the detalled articles to the respective blog pages.

Possible?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: integrating webpages within the blog site Reply with quote

I'll admit that I'm not really sure what you're after... I will point out a few things though...

First, if you want to create pages which match the look and feel of your blog but are not articles per se, they are not dated or part of any category, check out our Web Pages feature.

What we really want to do is define a few web pages that aren't in the standard blog layout and then integrate them with the blog.

Did you know what you can create category specific settings? I.e. one category can have one layout, and another category can have a different layout? Is that what you are looking for?

Ideally, (look at www.bucks-rfc.com) we would like a home page (main page) that displays in the centre column only the most recent article published

Well, I suppose you could configure your Paging Type to show 1 article per category view, but that would mean all categories would have only 1 article shown...

we can manipulate (change) the side column components as well as header and footer as we see fit?

Hmmm... I see from your blog you already know how to customize your own sidebar components so I am not exactly sure what you mean by this question... Maybe category specific layouts is what you are looking for here?
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: integrating webpages within the blog site Reply with quote

john wrote:
Did you know what you can create category specific settings? I.e. one category can have one layout, and another category can have a different layout? Is that what you are looking for?

This might work. Let me try this and see what I come up with.
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason being is that we plan to have multiple posters. We want the main page to be a summary of recent articles (at most three) and we also want to ensure that the footer remains visible on the main page for sponser logo's and advertising purposes. I plan to convert the blog to 768px wide x 1024 height (sort of like the blog harbour website) and I don't want allot of articles pushing the footer's off the visible page. The various sub directories should act as a detailed archive of all articles.

One other question, is there a way to set an article so that in the posted category, the full article is displayed, but in a bubble-up category only the summary is displayed.

Also how can I set text in an article to wrap around a photo i.e on the left or right?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want the main page to be a summary...

We don't have a solution for you, though one thing you should be aware of is that you can post a file called index.html to the top level of your File Manager and that file will be shown as your blog's "home page"... You may prefer to show a custom built page in place of the default blog Main Page.

One other question, is there a way to set an article so that in the posted category, the full article is displayed, but in a bubble-up category only the summary is displayed.

An article will display the summary if one exists, regardless of which category it is displayed in.

Also how can I set text in an article to wrap around a photo i.e on the left or right?

See this thread in these forums for information on wrapping text around images.
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Category Tree Reply with quote

In the Layout page with the component add remove columns, there's a component called Category Tree. I can't find a custom or system defined component to edit or customise.. It also seems imune to any changes I amke in my CSS sheet. Can someone provide me some guidance as to where I can find this components code?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Category Tree Reply with quote

That component can not be modified.
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: CSS and fonts Reply with quote

There's a system component called catergory which i customised, changed "topic" to "home" and added a click hyperlink back to the main page. However, I can't figure out how to get the compenentheader to have the same font color's as the rest of my other component's. Can you tell me what i need to modify in the CSS stylesheet? I'm using a tweaked version of slashdot (only having amended font sizes and color's thus far). Thanks....
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: CSS and fonts Reply with quote

The componentHead class has a different style depending on whether or not the text is plain text or if it is a link. Your "Home" text is a hyperlink, so it's a different color by default.

If you want to change the link's style, you need to look for #leftcol .componentHead a and #rightcol .componentHead a and modify those classes to match the #leftcol .componentHead and #rightcol .componentHead classes.

Tip: Read this thread for a tip on the process for customizing your CSS styles:

If it makes it easier for you to work with the whole set of classes at once and enter them into your Custom CSS area, then use Custom as your stylesheet. It will save bandiwdth for you and your reader as currently your page loads a stylesheet, then loads a new one which updates every single class. Using Custom as your stylesheet will mean your CSS classes only load once...
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more questions.

1) On the mainpage my articles seem to start around midway in the centre column. On sub pages (even if they use parent settings) the articles start at the top of the centre coumn. How do I get this display (top not centre) on the main page?

2) What CSS entry do I edit to change the font size on the directory that appears at the top of the centre column.

3) I customised the Topic component. However, when I reach the lowest directory in a category the customised component disapears. How do I get the Component Header to remain visible even when I'm in the lowest diretory? The component header as a built in home link that's why.

4) How can I set the CSS style up so when a the blog opens in a browser it does not strech out across the whole page (i.e. how to make my blog page act like this page on the fourm when I maximise my browser).
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more questions.

Next time, if you could post your new questions unrelated to the original thread to their own topic, that would help other users to find answers to their own related questions in the future.

On the mainpage my articles seem to start around midway in the centre column. On sub pages (even if they use parent settings) the articles start at the top of the centre coumn. How do I get this display (top not centre) on the main page?

This is not the default style on our blogs, and the extra spacing appears to be due to a customization you made on your blog. Unfortunately, I can't tell at first glance what you changed that is causing this.

What CSS entry do I edit to change the font size on the directory that appears at the top of the centre column.

The directory that appears at the top of the center column... I am guessing you are talking about the "breadcrumbs". There is one set of breadcrumbs that shows the category you are viewing, that would be the categoryBreadcrumb class. Another is the articleBreadcrumb class which controls the look and feel of the Next and Previous links when you are viewing articles.

I customised the Topic component. However, when I reach the lowest directory in a category the customised component disapears. How do I get the Component Header to remain visible even when I'm in the lowest diretory? The component header as a built in home link that's why.

The Topic component is an older component, its functionality is limited when compared to the Category Tree component. The Topics component does not display a link to the category you are viewing, it only displays subcategories in the current category. If there are no subcategories, you will see that it does not appear. The Topics component is not a good replacement for the Category Tree component, and we do not have plans to enhance it at this time.

How can I set the CSS style up so when a the blog opens in a browser it does not strech out across the whole page (i.e. how to make my blog page act like this page on the fourm when I maximise my browser).

Explained on How to Center your Blog.
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john wrote:
one thing you should be aware of is that you can post a file called index.html to the top level of your File Manager and that file will be shown as your blog's "home page"... You may prefer to show a custom built page in place of the default blog Main Page..

If I do this on my blog will my existing Main Page be replaced? Also how do I create and post the file? If I do this I would want to create the index.html using the post web page fuction so I can maintain consistency in the category.

Also on webpages is there a way to customise the category that the webpage is based on or will it allways be a copy of the main category page?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do this on my blog will my existing Main Page be replaced?

No, it will not.

Also how do I create and post the file?

You can create the index.html page any way you prefer on your local computer. Then upload it via the File Manager.

If I do this I would want to create the index.html using the post web page fuction so I can maintain consistency in the category.

You need to create the file locally on your computer, you can not use the Web Page function to directly create the file. Though you could use the Web Page feature to create a page from which you would copy the HTML source code to use as the basis for a page you create locally.

Also on webpages is there a way to customise the category that the webpage is based on or will it allways be a copy of the main category page?

It will always use the design of the Main Page category.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: