BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Categoried articles dropping off categories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eppyharmon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Categoried articles dropping off categories? Reply with quote

Hello-

I posted an article called "What Are We Getting For Our Pentagon Dollars" early in 2005, and checked "military" as a key word/category. Now, that article doesn't show up when I click (from the main page) on the category/subject/key word "military. I've looked at the article in Post Manager, and the "military" category is checked everywhere I can. Do "old" articles eventually "drop off" the category lists? Is this happening with any of my other articles/categories/key words? I thought once it was set it was set forever....
Thanks for any help you can give me.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Categoried articles dropping off categories? Reply with quote

Keywords and Categories are very different...

It appears as if you are using Categories as if they were keywords. For example, you posted the What Are We Getting For Our Pentagon Dollars? article you refer to into a total of 38 categories... Cross posting an article into so many categories might be confusing to your readers. You tagged the article with over 100 keywords, which is great. That can help your readers find articles related to topics of interest. But I think finding an article in 38 different categories might make it difficult for your readers to understand why they keep coming across the same articles when browsing your blog. Just a suggestion, please feel free to organize your blog any way you like.

In any case, what I think you are seeing is that you are not using any paging links, so when you visit a category there are no links to previous articles... I'll explain how you can enable what are called paging links...

In order to help your page load faster as well as reduce the bandwidth consumption, it's a good idea to limit the number of articles that appear on the main page. This is controlled by setting the Paging Type. That is explained on these articles:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/19/91645.html
http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/3/82528.html

I like to set my blog to use "By articles" as a paging type, setting the blog to display 10 or 15 articles per page, and checking the 'Show paging links on default category view' checkbox. Limiting your blog to displaying the most recent 10 or 15 articles will help reduce the load time of the page, as well as reduce your bandwidth consumption. Enabling 'paging links' is a navigation aid which will help your users to see that older content exists and help them to navigate through it.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: