BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Performancing Firefox plug-in with Blogharbor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Performancing Firefox plug-in with Blogharbor Reply with quote

John, would you have some advice on how to configure the new Firefox plugin?
I experimented with settings, could connect to my blog, get the categories, old posts .. etc, but when I hit "publish", nothing happens.

If we get it to work, this could very well be the easiest blog editor.

Thanks, and
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Performancing Firefox plug-in with Blogharbor Reply with quote

I'm also eager to try this extension out. I downloaded it and installed it a few days ago, ran into the same issue you saw, and didn't have time to look into it further as I still needed to finish Christmas shopping. Wink

Tonight I ran a tcpdump to watch what PFF (Performancing for Firefox) is sending, and it appears that the call they are sending to create a new post is corrupted. It looks pretty clear that the software is sending a bad request to our server, and our server properly responds with an error. Strangely, PFF doesn't even report that an error was received, it just does nothing...

I just sent a pretty detailed bug report just now to their developers, so I'm hoping that they will be able to sort this one out soon. I see that there are a few users on their forums which report an identical problem on other platforms, so chances would seem high that fixing this would make many folks happy.

Happy New Year to you!
zoli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, and I thought it was just a little setting somewhere... Thanks for debugging and following up!
zoli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Any feedback from the PFF developers? I am a little baffled just reading their forum: several users seem to have similar issues, and they respond to nice-to-have feature requests, while this should be top priority .... Crying or Very sad
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard anything yet, but it's only been a day and a half since I sent that report. Maybe their developer actually took a vacation. Wink

But yes, it does seem as if other users on other platforms are reporting the identical symptom, so I'm pretty sure that my report will show them where the problem lies and I would be surprised if they don't push another version of the extension out shortly.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their developers did confirm with me that there is in fact a bug with their implementation of the API (specifically the newPost call in the Metaweblog API to be exact) and note on their blog that one of the goals for the next release is to Fix the MetaWeblog API implementation.
zoli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, but I thought we were also compatible with either the Wordpress or Movable Type API (WP or MT custom setting in PFF), and none of those can post to Blogharbor either...

Thanks for investigating!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do support these APIs, and we have had blogging client developers say that our API support is the cleanest implementation out there. That's why just about every blogging client out there can be used on our system.

The PFF extension has bugs, that's about all I can say about it. It comes preconfigured for some setups, and seems to work on some of those setups, but its bugs prevent it from working on anything but a few of the default setups... That has nothing to do with our API support... I'm sure when they fix their bugs things will work fine... Don't let the "Version 1.0" label on this extension fool you, this is a very beta product which needs a lot more work.

For example, there is a very clearly defined success response for the metaWeblog.newPost call which is where the bug lies in this software. When PFF sends a post, it never gives any indication of success... Which does not make any sense from a software design perspective, every blog client I've used knows how to wait for a the response from metaWeblog.newPost, interpret that response as success or failure, and report the results back to the user. This software not only sends a poorly constructed request, it does not test for success or failure of that request...

So this extension just needs a little more work, that's all I can tell you right now. For more information, you would need to speak with the developers directly.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an email from the Performancing for Firefox developers; they've released a new version of this extension and tested it on BlogHarbor and are "very, very, very excited" to report that the bugs are fixed and the extension now works with our service. I just tested it and was able to post to a BlogHarbor weblog using PFF.

Enjoy!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions for configuring Performancing for Firefox to post to your BloHarbor weblog have been posted here.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: