BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
creating components in web page function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: creating components in web page function Reply with quote

I've been embedding some paypal buttons in a webpage on our blog. I can do so by pasting in the relvant html code in teh webpage html editor. However, that page is getting very cumbersome as I'm no expert in html.

When you author a webpage there's an option at the bottom to create a component. My question is:

Can you create a component containing text and html code (3rd party) that you can load into an article or a web page created in blog harbour?

How do you do that and upload the component?

Thanks.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: creating components in web page function Reply with quote

If you create a Web Page and select the Create a component checkbox, a custom component will be created containing the content of that Web Page.

So if you create a new Web Page with the title Example and select Create a component checkbox, you'll see a new component automatically appear in your Layout Manager named MyPage: Example.

So this is an easy way to create and manage custom components. If you need to create components using HTML code you are importing from elsewhere, it usually helps to first turn off the Rich Text Editor first: Go to Settings & Security > Publishing Defaults > Advanced and look for the Enable rich-text editor check box, uncheck it and click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the form.
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: creating components in web page function Reply with quote

bucksrugby wrote:

Can you create a component containing text and html code (3rd party) that you can load into an article or a web page created in blog harbour?

How do you do that and upload the component?

How to upload (insert) custom components you created in articles? or web pages?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: creating components in web page function Reply with quote

I see your blog has many custom components added to your sidebar already, so it looks from here like you already know the answer to the question "How do I create custom components?", so I'm not really sure what question you are asking here... Can you tell us exactly what it is you want to accomplish? We'll be glad to help out once we can figure out what your goal is.
bucksrugby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I built the sites online store webpage I wanted box in the paypal buttons extensive html code somehow and thought that perhaps I could create a custom component using the layout manager create components function.

I would want to be able to insert those components into an article or webpage as oppossed to just inserting a bunch of html code. much like one does with a picture.

Generaly speaking I find editing the html code quite cumersome and I wanted just to focus on text and fonts and have soem easy way of packaging html content so it's easily managable.

Is that clear?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I understand what you're asking now...

Just to be clear, when we are using the term component we're referring to a box that contains some HTML which can be added into your blog's sidebar, the right or left display columns. Your blog is created with default components or you can create your own.

You want to know if there's a way you can create reusable "chunks" of HTML for your articles, not for your sidebars, and to insert those chunks into your articles at your discretion... Unfortunately we do not provide such a feature, though it's an interesting suggestion.

It is possible to create reusable chunks of HTML and have them inserted automatically into every article, though. This thread is a good place to start learning how this might be done, it will lead you to one user's request for a flexible means to insert content into every article and to our suggested solution.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: