BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
difficulty editing an article already posted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubyadubya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: difficulty editing an article already posted Reply with quote

We are having trouble editing an article. We have tried to correct a typo and also add keywords which we had neglected to do when first posting and we cannot. We keep getting a message " warning there were errors in your submission." and red text at the right saying to choose a category . We only have a Main category and have not had trouble with this before.We check the box saying main but the message repeats and the category box comes up empty again. The keywords also disappear. We re-enter everything, try again and no go. So we cannot edit the article ( Titled Optics Network)
http://wolfvillewatch.blogharbor.com/blog
dubyadubya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have since edited another article no problem..We tried again with the "Optic network" article and it wouldn't edit. it just seems to be a problem with this one article.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're trying to track down some issues which are causing editing problems on random articles. We've noted the article you mentioned and our developers are trying to determine what is different about that article that is causing this problem.

If you or anyone else is getting this error when editing an article (specifically the one ww is refering to, an attempt to edit the article results in "Warning: there were errors in your submission:" and a blank category list with the error "Please select at least one category"), please contact us and let us know specifically which article exhibits this problem. Your feedback will help us to correlate the facts and solve this issue.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source of this issue has been found and fixed. Please let us know if you are still seeing this error.
kazo56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Same problem on March 20 for Edit Area of Article Reply with quote

Hello John & co.
I too had exactly the same problem described by Ww while trying to post and edit and re-edit this article:
http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2006/3/20/1830169.html at about 6.30pm March 20 (that might be Sydney time).
Initially I tried using Performancing with Firefox: the entry posted OK but I needed to edit it, and then the problems started - the red "Warning", and the refusal of the Edit to recognise that I had already chosen Main Page and a few other categories. I tried repeatedly to ensure the Main Page selection was ticked and black but it made no difference.I had to delete the whole entry and start again within the Blogharbor text editor. I also had to uninstall Firefox (yet again: every time I install it with the performancing add-in, within hours I have to get rid of it because of its "slipperyness" - sorry, I don't have the technical term.
No further problems to report on this aspect since then, however.
Cheers,
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Same problem on March 20 for Edit Area of Article Reply with quote

March 20 would have been before we fixed the problem, so if you had any problems after March 21 please let us know.
kazo56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: More on March 20th edit problem Reply with quote

Hello John,
I forgot to add that my problems on the same day as Ww with the Edit Article area also included my Time Zone changing from Australia/Sydney to Alaska/Anchorage. I've since found the source of the problem - a photo copied to a MySpaces messageboard by a MySpaces blogger in Anchorage. I have tried to ascertain his IP to block it, but all I can get from his home page is this:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18514793

The copied photos (originally from National Library of Australai) are not displayed at this address, however, but at: LONG_MYSPACE_FORUM_URL

and the post is dated March 23....

(my info came from my Referrer stats)

Any suggestions? Forget about it? Block it?

Cheers,
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: More on March 20th edit problem Reply with quote

So are you currently having problems editing an article, and experiencing the symptoms shown on the first post of this thread?

If you want to stop someone from sourcing your images, which I see that they are doing on the forum post you linked to, read the page in our manual Prohibiting linking to content on your blog.
kazo56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

The point I am making is NOT that my images are being sourced - I have deliberately chosen to allow an RSS feed of 5 for the newsfeeder Jordomedia to make sure my photos in articles are visible (by mutual agreement and benefit).

The point I am making is that my Edit Article was invaded by the MySpace blogger in Anchorage on March 20th, as was Wolfvillewatch's template, and my template crashed, as did Wolfvillewatch's - and at the same time.
The article directly affected was
:http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2006/3/18/1826572.html

Furthermore, which URLs of mine were affected on that date is not necessarily evident now because in a re-edit phase I may just SAVE without changing the date to the day of the edit.

So, several URLS of my articles on March 20th were affected, and one - very oddly - has the font type in the title changed from Arial to Georgia - in this one:
http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2006/3/19/1828338.html

On that day I was using Performancing with Firefox as a Text editor. I have since uninstalled both the browser and add-in, so - the LONG answer to your question is - NO PROBLEMS since, but I wish to stress that the problem was an invasion of my template, not my options choice in Advanced Settings to allow image sourcing.

I hope this clarifies the issue (?!!) Many thanks for your patience, once again.
Cheers,
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I am making is NOT that my images are being sourced - I have deliberately chosen to allow an RSS feed of 5 for the newsfeeder Jordomedia to make sure my photos in articles are visible (by mutual agreement and benefit).

The number of items in your RSS feed has no relationship to your File Sourcing settings. Not sure what you're thinking is the connection of these two items...

The point I am making is that my Edit Article was invaded by the MySpace blogger in Anchorage on March 20th

Your Edit Article was invaded by a MySpace blogger? Huh? I can't even figure out why you would think that, but

The problems editing articles referred to at the top of this thread were caused by changes we made to our software during our upgrade on 3/11. We know that for a fact. We finally were able to trace the cause of the issue to a software library on our server which we altered during the upgrade, we revised the library late afternoon of 3/21.

The issue with editing was not caused by myspace invasions, nor was it related to your choice of editor. It had nothing to do with you or what you were doing; it was entirely a fault of our software development...

So, several URLS of my articles on March 20th were affected, and one - very oddly - has the font type in the title changed from Arial to Georgia

When I go to the URL you referred to, the title had the same font as the rest of your articles at their article permanent links.

When I look at that article in category view, which I can currently see here, I do see the problem you're referring to. It's caused by unbalanced HTML in the preceding article "Last of the first contact, and last of the final contact."

As we've said many times before, be careful of the HTML you cut and paste from other sources. It's very easy to create an article with unbalanced HTML, opening FONT tag but no closing tag for example. So while actual debugging of the HTML in your articles is not something we can support, I can point you in this direction and say with certainty that the reason your article may have different fonts in category view is related to the article above it; edit that article and your fonts will return to normal.

So that last issue was not really related to the initial post that opened this thread. If you have any other questions related to specifically to the editing problem which opened this thread above and we fixed on March 21, please post them here. If you have any other questions not related to that issue, please post them to a new thread.
kazo56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John (for the last time!),

To end this (absurd!) point ...

I said: "The point I am making is that my Edit Article was invaded by the MySpace blogger in Anchorage on March 20th"

And you want to know by way of reply: "Your Edit Article was invaded by a MySpace blogger? Huh? I can't even figure out why you would think that, .."

Well, here's what happened: the day my Edit Article area crashed: my Date Format changed from "Australia/Sydney" to "America/Alaska" as I was in the process of editing. By way of the referrer stats I found the visitor - a MySpaces blogger in Anchorage, and guess what - there were the photos from my blog! Coincidence, huh?
All's well that ends well, n'est-ce-pas? so please don't ask me again for feedback, I haven't a b... clue how the magic internet does what it does!
Cheers,
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's all that it is, a coincidence. There is no causal relationship between these 2 issues. The person who is sourcing your images did not cause the problem editing articles. We caused the problem editing articles when we updated a software library on our server during the most recent system update...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: