BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I need some help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kow626

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: I need some help. Reply with quote

My blog page is www.kow626.com and I'm having 2 problems:

1. How do I get categories like my music and movie reviews to show up in the category tree of the main page? I think I made a mistake and deleted them a while back from the tree but how do I get them back to appear there again? The category tree is located in the top left of my site.

2. I don't know how it happened, but my recent articles list expanded from displaying 5 on the main page to 15. How do I get it to just show the 5 most recent again? The recent articles list is in the left column of my site.

Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some help. Reply with quote

How do I get categories like my music and movie reviews to show up in the category tree of the main page?

If you create those categories, they will appear in the category tree... The tree just reflects the categories you have already created. When viewed from the Main Page, the tree will only show the branches directly below it, but when you enter a category, the tree will expand to show the level of branches directly below your current level.

Yes, we agree that there should be some indicator that there are nested categories below the current level shown...
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some help. Reply with quote

I don't know how it happened, but my recent articles list expanded from displaying 5 on the main page to 15. How do I get it to just show the 5 most recent again?

Go to Look & Feel > Layout in your control panel, and click on the Components tab. Scroll down to the System Components area and click on Customize in the Recent Articles row. A popup window will appear. Look for the line that reads:
Code:
{{loop name=blog.recent_articles limit=15}}

and change it to
Code:
{{loop name=blog.recent_articles limit=5}}

Click Add Component. Now you have an additional customized version of your Recent Articles component which displays the 5 most articles.

Click the Columns tab and drag the existing Recent Articles component out of the column it is in and move it to the Inactive area, and replace it with the custom component you just created which is probably called Custom: Recent Articles and click Save at the bottom of the page.

This is the general flow for modifying any of the System Components.
kow626

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: I'm still having problems Reply with quote

Here's the original question I asked and the response I got:

"How do I get categories like my music and movie reviews to show up in the category tree of the main page?

If you create those categories, they will appear in the category tree... The tree just reflects the categories you have already created. When viewed from the Main Page, the tree will only show the branches directly below it, but when you enter a category, the tree will expand to show the level of branches directly below your current level."

I've made a lot of changes to my site and still have more to come. But for now, I want to get the small stuff out of the way before I start doing the big stuff. I've got everything the way I want it for now but I'm still having a problem with the category tree. I went ahead and created those new categories but they still don't link to the previous articles that I have under those categories. If you scroll down the page and look to the left, you'll see my recent music and movie reviews. There's content listed there but not under the tree. I need to know how to get my articles to list under the tree when clicking one of the tree folders.

I know I'm responsible for the mishap because I deleted the original folders from under the tree (like an idiot). Now I just want to get them listed back there for completeness sake. Any good, easy-to-follow advice would be appreciated.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm still having problems Reply with quote

Just want to make sure you understand this point: Reviews are not Categories, reviews are simply a type of article that can be posted to any category... You can create a Movie Review for example, and post it to any category: Simply because you create a Category and name it Movie Reviews does not mean that any movie review you have posted will automatically appear there...

So if you've created a Movie Review in the past, and you want it to appear in some specific category, whether that category is named Movie Reviews or Flix I Viddied, you would still need to go back to your original article/review and set it to appear in that category.

Hope that clarifies...
kow626

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

Thanks. Breaking it down for me like that made me understand what I needed to do and the articles are in the tree where I want them now.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: