BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How can I standardize font type & size for all text?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazo56

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: How can I standardize font type & size for all text? Reply with quote

Hello John,

My template is WHITEOUT. The sidebar text font style and size are a little smaller than the Rich Text Editor default options for photo and article posts(I prefer to keep the Rich Text setting for fear of entanglements leading to errors and loss of post with HTML at this stage).
As an example, on the main page, top article for Friday 14th April 2006, entitled The Missing Album etc at http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/blog (not permalink),
the default font and size are larger than the sidebars. If I change it to xxsmall, it's too small. If I change it to Times etc, it's too bunched up, if I change it to Verdana it's too wide etc. And none of the options in the Rich Text Editor match up with the sidebars' font style and size.

I would like to make all text appearing in every area across the blog (sidebars, main page etc) to conform to the same size and font style (except when I have a special reason to change it) as the sidebar text.

How can I do that? Is it possible?

Much appreciated,
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: How can I standardize font type & size for all text? Reply with quote

Suggestion: Don't use the Rich Text Editor to change the Font or Size to match the rest of your blog design, you don't need to. Just compose your content, and publish your article. The article will intherit the fonts specified by your Color Scheme automatically when you viewed on the blog itself.

If you are looking to change the default font used by your articles, see this post for a suggestion. You might want to try adding this to your Custom CSS:
Code:

.articleBody {
    font: normal 11px 'Lucida Grande','Trebuchet MS',verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
}

Which should have the effect of lowering the default font size for your article bodies.
kazo56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Whole article area has shrunk Reply with quote

Hello John,

OK. Done. The five articles on the Home main page suddenly shrank, leaving me SIX INCHES of blank space at the bottom. No problem, though, as I have checked the loading on my home pages several times to discover too many images etc, so I will reduce Home main page size with fewer articles.

Many thanks,
kazo56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

The instructions you gave proved to be shortlived. I noticed that today's post reverted to the larger font and different style from the sidebar default font and size.

I have used this code instead from my WHITEOUT CSS sheet, and the font style and size now seem to conform to the sidebar default style:

normal 11px Geneva, Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;

The other templates may work as you suggest - for example, I notice the Terracotta template used by cowhampshire.blogharbor has text which conforms across both sidebar and article area. But WHITEOUT doesn't..

I now need to make the Photo Post font and size the same as the Article Post, but can't quite figure out where it is on the CSS sheet. Can you direct me there?

Many thanks,
kazo56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Font and size of article and photo posts Reply with quote

Hello John,

My choice of code above was even more shortlived. Ghastly! Huge, sprawling text. I'm bamboozled by this problem, so have reverted to default.

Why does the Terracotta template text look so uniform across sidebars and articles?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Font and size of article and photo posts Reply with quote

I think the issue here is the one we noted earlier in this thread when we said this: Don't use the Rich Text Editor to change the Font or Size to match the rest of your blog design, you don't need to. Just compose your content, and publish your article. The article will inherit the fonts specified by your Color Scheme automatically when you viewed on the blog itself.

If you do specify the Font and Color, that will override the fonts specified by your Color Scheme and Custom CSS...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: