BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Changing the style of a category page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Changing the style of a category page Reply with quote

Besides changing the columns and components, can one change the css of a category so that it looks completely different from that of the main page?

Also, can one remove the link to tha Main page that appears just above the psots when you access a category page?

The goal of both is having two blogs in the same account - sort of.

Thanks in advance.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the style of a category page Reply with quote

Besides changing the columns and components, can one change the css of a category so that it looks completely different from that of the main page?

We think that the ability to create custom templates and custom layouts per category is pretty powerful, glad to see you're interested in taking advantage of these features.

From the control panel, click Look & Feel. If you want to edit the components used in your layout, click Layout in the Options row. If you edit the layout here, you are editing the layout for the Main Page and all the categories which inherit its layout.

If you want to edit the layout only for a specific category, click through the Category Tree on the left side of the page. You should see text like "This category currently inherits components from its parent category."; click Customize if you want to customize the layout and make it particular to that category.

It's pretty much the same process for the Templates, just click Templates in the Options row and follow along in the same manner to modify a template for a specific category. In this way you can edit the CSS or style template only for a specific category.

Also, can one remove the link to the Main page that appears just above the posts when you access a category page?

You would probably want to alter the category and article templates by altering the "category Breadcrumbs". Look for code like this:

Code:
{{if breadcrumb}}
<div>
{{loop breadcrumb}}
<a href="{{url}}">{{label}}</a>
{{unless __last__}}
&nbsp;&#187;&nbsp;
{{/unless}}
{{/loop}}
</div>
{{/if}}

One choice would be to remove it altogether. Another choice would be to change the presentation so that the links to "Main Page" are not shown, creating the illusion that you are at the top node in the hierarchy...

Code:
{{if breadcrumb}}
<div>
{{loop breadcrumb}}
{{unless label eq "Main Page"}}
{{unless __last__}}
&nbsp;&#187;&nbsp;
{{/unless}}
{{/unless}}
{{/loop}}
</div>
{{/if}}

It might look better if you always include trailing chevrons, like this:

Code:
{{if breadcrumb}}
<div>
{{loop breadcrumb}}
&nbsp;&#187;&nbsp;
{{/unless}}
{{/loop}}
</div>
{{/if}}

You could even cause the breadcrumbs to rewrite the label for your sub Category as "Home", making it look like the index for that category is actually the home page. So if your Category name was "Nature", you would code it this way:

Code:
{{if breadcrumb}}
   <div>
   {{loop breadcrumb}}
         {{if label eq "Nature"}}
            <a href="{{url}}">Home</a>
            &nbsp;&#187;&nbsp;
         {{else}}
            &nbsp;&#187;&nbsp;
         {{/if}}
      {{/unless}}
   {{/loop}}
   </div>
{{/if}}

That last one has some indents in it to make it easier to follow. Hope this helps get you started!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the style of a category page Reply with quote

Those div codes should read div class="categoryBreadcrumb", for some reason the forum software is eating that content...
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I've already made all those changes, but still don't see the differences when I reload the particular category. I don't know why, but I'm sure it's got nothing to do with your service.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could describe your issue by being sure to provide complete answers to these questions we'd be glad to help:
  • What did you do exactly? (Please provide as much detail as you can.)
  • What did you think would happen?
  • What happened instead?
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I customised the style template of a category after disabling the "Inherit from parent" checkbox, as you said. I expected that, after choosing one of the pre-made templates, I would see the changes, but it didn't happen. The style remains the same as the rest of the blog.

I also changed the code in both the category and article templates following the steps you offered, in order to eliminate the "Main Page >> Category" link but that's still showing.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about letting us know which category you changed... That would very much help us to help you.
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a category called "TheVeganLotusCookblog": http://walkingintolight.blogharbor.com/blog/TheVeganLotusCookblog
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to remove the "Main Page" link but the style of the category remains the same as the rest of the blog.
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a couple of tests and the category is inheriting the style of the parent. Changes in the style template of the category don't show, while changes in the main css do show in all the subsequent categories. Hope this helps.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be an issue on our side. I can't duplicate this on another blog, but can verify that it is not working properly on your blog... I've asked our admins to take a look at this to see what might have happened there to cause that. Will followup when I find out.
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: