BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to get favicon to show in IE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: How to get favicon to show in IE? Reply with quote

Hello John,

My favicon - yellow T on blue background - shows in Mozilla but not in IE. I notice that the favicons of other blogharbor blogs show in IE, so can you tell me what's missing from my addition to HEAD - which looks like this in VIEW SOURCE of main page -

</script>

<link><META>

</head>

Many thanks,
Kerry at tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Whoops! forum software gobbled my HEAD Reply with quote

Addenda: submitted the previous post only to see the code I pasted re my favicon completely gone!

Try again? It looks like this -

<link><META>

Kerry
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: And again!!! Reply with quote

Sorry, John. When I preview the post here, the code appears - i.e. the additional HTML I put into the HEAD of my blog (following the instructions per this forum's previous posts on favicons), but when I submit it (twice in last five minutes) the code disappears. How can I demonstrate it otherwise?

Try yet again?

Here is the addition to my HEAD for favicon minus a few key code strokes of course in the hope it will show here -

link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/images/favicon19.gif

kerry at tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: And again!!! Reply with quote

See this post:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?p=3857#3857

That's all you need to do to add a favicon.
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Favicon dot ico still not visible in IE Reply with quote

Hello again,
Sorry, but I have followed the links and directions again, and again, my favicon is visible in Firefox but not in IE. Perhaps I deleted some important code in the Security & Settings>Publishing> General... ADD additional HTML to HEAD when I deleted the previous icon a few months ago.

Can you give me ALL the code again that should appear there - everything that should appear between /script and /head when viewed at source - AND/OR should the CHAR etc etc. bit be there at all?

Thanks,
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Favicon dot ico still not visible in IE Reply with quote

There is nothing that needs to be added to the code on your webpage, nothing. You simply need to do what is noted in the page I referred you to, you simply upload the icon file favicon.ico to the top level of your File Manager and that's it.

IE tends to hold onto its cache for a long time, and that's what is causing the problem. As Chuck once noted, "IE is stubborn and pernicious when it comes to cached items". So once you have a favicon.ico file uploaded, you may have to do a raindance to make IE see it.

One other thing, this image:

http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/favicon.ico

is not an ICO format file, it's a GIF. To be sure, you should be creating a 16 x 16 gif.
kerry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: ICO Format Reply with quote

Hi John,
Thank you. Favicon now visible in IE because I have ICO formatted the icon -my Snagit app saves to Windows.ico.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: