BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Being Hotlinked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colincolenso

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Being Hotlinked Reply with quote

It appears, from what I can read of the logs, that one of my sites is being severly hotlinked.

I have read where I can prevent hotlinking:
http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2005/7/7/1005478.html

but I wonder if hotlinking could be used to my advantage, if I add my domain name to the images so as to draw more visitors.

But I cannot decifer which pages are hotlinking. How can I work that out?

My site is www.shanghaipool.com

Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Being Hotlinked Reply with quote

I wonder if hotlinking could be used to my advantage, if I add my domain name to the images so as to draw more visitors.

It is up to you if you want to reupload updated versions of your images...

But I cannot decifer which pages are hotlinking. How can I work that out?

The giveaway for hotlinking is your referer statistics, read more here.
colincolenso

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Being Hotlinked Reply with quote

Thanks John,
It appears that about 90% of my referer stats are internal links (mostly people starting from my home page) and the external ones are mainly coming from search engines. No evidence of hotlinking that I can see at www.shanghaipool.com .

I'm just amazed that the site is generating almost 30,000 views per month Surprised

A related question: Is there an easy way of finding out how many unique IPs are visiting my websites every day, week or month, or should I incorporate additional stats software to monitor this information?

Thanks,
Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Being Hotlinked Reply with quote

One of the things that we admit that we don't do very well is help you easily determine how much of your traffic is coming from search engine robots (for many blogs it can be a lot) and how much is coming from people.

One way you can separate out the people from the machines without having to download your server logs is to add a separate third party stats service like StatCounter or [url=StatCounter]Sitemeter[/url]. Using the free level of these services can provide you with additional insight into your traffic; since these services can not see traffic by search engine crawlers, hotlinkers, image or file requests, comment spammers, trackback spammers, or RSS feed requests, you're looking at a subset of your total traffic but that subset is pretty much people browsing with a web browser.

Adding these services to your blog is easy. You can simply take the Javascript code they give you and add it to your blog as explained here.

Is there an easy way of finding out how many unique IPs are visiting my websites every day, week or month, or should I incorporate additional stats software to monitor this information?

This is what the Distinct Hosts stat is about right there in your Site Stats. But again, this is all hosts including search engines etc., not just folks reading your blog in a browser.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: