BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rounded Corners
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtual3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Rounded Corners Reply with quote

Does anyone know how we can have rounded corners on our catergories?

You can see an example of this on http://blog.blogware.com/blog

I actually know how to write the css, but if someone wanted to do a step-by-step tutorial I am sure we would all appreciate it. Very Happy
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded Corners Reply with quote

If you actually know how to write the css, I would appreciate it if you could teach us. I don't know how to do that... Wink
zoli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the blogware blog is nicely designed.. not just the rounded boxes, but the colors, too, it feels 2006-ish, while the templates available to us feel a bit old-fashioned. Sad

I asked on their blog what template they were using - Jonh, any chance of getting that template?

Thanks!
virtual3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Rounded corners Reply with quote

There are a host of techniques avaialbe. A good list can be found here... http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=RoundedCorners

As css and browsers don't really have this function built in, the work around involves labeling each part of the div, then in the css attaching a background image to each of the 4 css elements.

Here is a rounded corner generator for anyone willing to have a go
http://www.neuroticweb.com/recursos/css-rounded-box/
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an FYI, the Blogware blog you refer to was not done as a style sheet or "template", they actually went and made custom components for each component in the sidebar... It's an incredible amount of effort, so there isn't one file we could send to you and say "here's this one bit of code for your blog, just drop it in and you'll have rounded corners!"

I am working on some ways to do rounded corners without requiring you to customize each component, but I have not found a perfect solution, though I have one that is "75% correct", it will give you rounded corners on 3 sides but it would not require you to customize each of your sidebar components and it is not yet tested on IE. And all the components would be the same color, there's no way to make all the components a different color unless you customize each and every one of them. I'll try to write up some info about this approach in the next couple of weeks once I get a little further with it.

Last edited by john on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
zoli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may get the "rounded" template eventually:
http://blog.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/6/1/1999339.html?message=#677172
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, that blog's look is really a slightly modified template, the rounded corners are all a result of customized components, not a custom template. The fact is, and Joey's customization demonstrates, that the structure of the components as originally implemented will not be able to give you 4 rounded corners. I've studied all the rounded corners techniques now, and it does not seem possible to hand you a CSS template which you can drop into the current system which will provide you with fully rounded corners on sidebar components, without requiring you to customize each component.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong, of course. Wink
zoli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess he is proving you right - no word of the new template.

Actually, I'd be happy with square boxes, too - just like the color scheme and the fact that there are no solib sidebars, the boxes on the side "float". As a matter of fact, I like the Blogharbor scheme, too Smile
zoli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, would something like Nifty Corners help?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not provide a "one step" solution for you to implement rounded corners on your sidebar blocks, you would still need to create customized components one by one...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I do have a "one step" solution for rounded corners that will give you fully rounded corners on Firefox, and 3 corners on most other browsers... I posted about it here, and you can see it on my blog. Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback on that design, and once I have ironed out the design I'll post a write up on how to implement that design on your own blog or just add the rounded corners to your current design.
zoli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thanks, I do like your rounded boxes Smile

There's more than just the rounded corners that I like on the blogware blog though:
- color scheme (btw, I also like the color scheme of the BlogHarbor site)
- not fixed width, so full width on a widescreen does not feel like a lot of blank space
- sidebars don't have a solid border, middle area feels a bit more free-flow

I think that's all:-)

Thanks!

Last edited by zoli on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By looking at their CSS file I see they are basing their design on the Blogware color scheme, then adding some Custom CSS (the stuff you see below the first line beginning with @import is exactly what they entered as Custom CSS).

Of course, as I pointed out earlier you would need to customize each and every one of your components in order to create the colored rounded corner sidebar blocks, but if you had the time it could be done... They've also made some changes to the base template to remove the header row. Again, this look is not something that could be replicated by simply dropping in a new stylesheet since there are structural cusomizations there.
Aussie Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Rounded color components Reply with quote

Hi John,

So how can I create a component in a specific color, with rounded edges?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded color components Reply with quote

As previously noted on this thread, you can use the technique on this page to create rounded corners that should work on all browsers. You would have to create your components one by one, there is no way to overlay this technique to enable 4 rounded corners on your existing components.

I do not have a solid solution for enabling rounded corners on existing components. I was able to come up with something that enables "pseudo rounded corners", which can be see on my blog. It does seem to show 4 rounded corners on Firefox 1.5, and will apply to all components, but it will only display 3 rounded corners on IE 6 and Safari. I haven't yet checked what happens to this design on Firefox 2 or IE 7... Let me know if you want to know more about this solution or would rather go for the compatibility of the former approach.
Aussie Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Regarding the instructions you provided, do I use the exact code provided, or do I have to replace "rbroundbox" with "component". And if so, what do I replace .rbtop and .rbbot with?

Regards,
David
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: