BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adding an index dot html page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Adding an index dot html page Reply with quote

Hello John,
I've created a page - actually it is just a big jpg uploaded to the File Manager - as an index dot html.

I notice that the index dot html actually replaces the end bit - /blog - in my full main page URL. I also notice that when I post an ARTICLE and my blog's name appears in Blogharbor's Recently Updated Blogs list, the corresponding URL is just the myblog.blogharbor.com - with no end bit -/blog. The click-on leads to the big jpg I uploaded as the index dot html file. From there, the visitor has to work out that /blog has to be added manually in the browser.

That's OK with me at the moment because I have stumbled across a Blogspotter who was posting S & M images with a link called Sin Internet, which was actually my .blogharbor.com URL (naughty boy!).

But my question is this: I got the idea from some posts in the forum. I can't find them now, so I have lost the context in which the index dot html functions. I know the "how to" but not the "why's" in blogharbor terms.

Can you outline these again for me?

Many thanks
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Adding an index dot html page Reply with quote

Creating an index.html file and uploading it to the top level of your File Manager simply allows you to have an alternative "home page" to your blog for someone who accesses your root URL, in your case tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com. If an index.html file does not exist, then we show the Main Page of the blog when a user visits that URL.

Some publishers would use this as a cover page or splash page for their visitors, and some publishers use this feature to create a "layer" of static non-blog web pages, and link into their blog from these pages.

We link to the "root" URL from our Recently Updated Blogs page in the event that you have designed your blog in this manner.

Quote:
I've created a page - actually it is just a big jpg uploaded to the File Manager - as an index dot html.

Well, for this to work properly you would actually have to upload a text file named index.html, not an image file named index.html. My Firefox and Safari browsers don't know what to do with the page they are seeing, Firefox just shows some binary code and Safari shows a blank page...

Last edited by john on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Index.html page Reply with quote

Many thanks for that tip - I now have a coded page (the html might still be a bit messy) uploaded to my file manager with the jpg uploaded there too and linked, so the reader can click anywhere on the image to go to the blog. I can see the potential in this - just need to learn more html.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Index.html page Reply with quote

Works great, it kind of sets you up visually for what's next...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: