BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My name in each post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: My name in each post Reply with quote

Is there a way to remove my name from each post, so that it only shows the time of the post?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My name in each post Reply with quote

Kyle93815 wrote:
Is there a way to remove my name from each post, so that it only shows the time of the post?

Kyle - The header of the articles is not yet easily customizable. One thing you should be aware of is that you can customize the Author name that appears on your articles.

If you want to remove the name entirely, that is a little more complex as it involves modifying the structural templates of your blog... If you really want to do this, first read this article on modifying your CSS template for a little background.

Next, you will need to modify your category template and your article template. You will find these templates at Look and Feel->Templates.

You'll want to remove text like the following:

Code:
by
{{if author}}
   <a href="javascript:openWindow('{{view_user_url}}', 'info', 450, 600);">{{var name=author escape=html}}</a>
{{else}}
   Anonymous
{{/if}}
 on

from the each of these templates...

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out.
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I edited the article style sheet and it worked! It just shows the date/time published when you click on an entry to view the full text.

It seems as if the category style sheet controls what you see on the main page. I keep trying a number of ways to edit the author info out of that, but it keeps deleting the author, date/time, post summary, etc. I guess I'm doing something wrong..haha.

I thought I'd post the code below and maybe you guys could help? Thanks!

------------------------------------

{{if breadcrumb}}
<div class="categoryBreadcrumb">
{{loop breadcrumb}}
<a href="{{url}}">{{label}}</a>
{{unless __last__}}
&nbsp;»&nbsp;
{{/unless}}
{{/loop}}
</div>
{{/if}}

{{if category_breadcrumbs}}
<div class="articleBreadcrumb">
{{if category.prev_articles_url}}
<span style="font-weight:bold;">«</span>&nbsp;<a href="{{category.prev_articles_url}}">{{category.prev_articles_text}}</a>
{{/if}} <!-- if category.prev_articles_url -->

{{if category.next_articles_url}}
&nbsp;|&nbsp;
{{/if}}

<a href="{{category.next_articles_url}}">
{{category.next_articles_text}}</a>&nbsp;»
{{/if}} <!-- if next_article.url -->

</div> <!-- articleBreadcrumb -->
{{/if}} <!-- if category_breadcrumbs -->

{{loop days}}

<div class="dayArticles">
<div class="postDate"><span class="bracket">[</span>{{date.day_name}}, {{date.month_name}} {{date.day}}<span class="bracket">]</span></div>

{{loop articles}}
<div class="article">
<div class="articleTitle">

<span class="pubdate">
{{publish_time.hour}}:{{publish_time.min}}{{publish_time.ampm}} ({{publish_time.zone}})
&nbsp;|&nbsp; </span>

{{if title}}
{{title}}
{{else}}
Untitled
{{/if}}
</div>

<div class="articleAuthor">
by <span style="font-weight:bold;">
{{if author}}
<a href="javascript:openWindow('{{view_user_url}}', 'info', 450, 600);">{{var name=author escape=html}}</a>
{{else}}
Anonymous
{{/if}}
</span>
</div>

<div class="articleStats">
Comments: <a href="{{view_url}}#comments">{{num_comments}}</a>

{{if allow_trackbacks}}
&nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; Trackbacks:
<a href="{{view_url}}#trackbacks">{{num_trackbacks}}</a>
{{/if}} <!-- allow_trackbacks -->

&nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; <a href="{{view_url}}">Show Details</a>
&nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; <a href="{{permalink_url}}">#</a>
</div> <!-- articleStats -->

<div class="articleBody">
{{excerpt}}<br>
<div class="articleMore"><a href="{{view_url}}" align="right" border="0" width="13" height="13">read more</a>&nbsp;<span style="font-weight:bold;">&raquo;</span></div>
</div> <!-- articleBody -->

</div> <!-- article -->

{{/loop}} <!-- articles -->
</div> <!-- dayArticles -->
{{/loop}} <!-- days -->
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle93815 wrote:
Okay, I edited the article style sheet and it worked! It just shows the date/time published when you click on an entry to view the full text.

Great!

Kyle93815 wrote:
It seems as if the category style sheet controls what you see on the main page.

That is correct. The category template controls the look of the Main Page and any category pages.

Kyle93815 wrote:
I thought I'd post the code below and maybe you guys could help?

It looks like you have accidentally removed some important parts of this template. So go to your custom version of this template, and delete it by clciking the Delete button at the bottom. Then create a new version.

Look for this code:

Code:
by
{{if author}}
{{else}}
   Anonymous
{{/if}}
 on {{publish_time.month_name}} {{publish_time.day}}, {{publish_time.year}} {{publish_time.hour}}:{{publish_time.min}}{{publish_time.ampm}} ({{publish_time.zone}})
</div>

and change it to this:

Code:
{{publish_time.month_name}} {{publish_time.day}}, {{publish_time.year}} {{publish_time.hour}}:{{publish_time.min}}{{publish_time.ampm}} ({{publish_time.zone}})
</div>

and you should be all set!
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I deleted my changes and everything went back to normal. Then I replaced the code as you instructed below, and the date displayed just like I wanted it to. So that's one problem fixed!

The other problem is that it still isn't showing the summary of the post after I make this change. I'm looking at the code now, and I'm lost as to what might be making that happen.
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go ahead and post my altered code. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

---------------------------------

{{if breadcrumb}}
<div class="categoryBreadcrumb">
{{loop breadcrumb}}
<a href="{{url}}">{{label}}</a>
{{unless __last__}}
&nbsp;»&nbsp;
{{/unless}}
{{/loop}}
</div>
{{/if}}

{{if category_breadcrumbs}}
<div class="articleBreadcrumb">
<span style="font-weight:bold;">«</span>&nbsp;<a href="{{category.prev_articles_url}}">{{category.prev_articles_text}}</a>
{{/if}} <!-- if category.prev_articles_url -->

{{if category.next_articles_url}}
&nbsp;|&nbsp;
{{/if}}

<a href="{{category.next_articles_url}}">
{{category.next_articles_text}}</a>&nbsp;»
{{/if}} <!-- if next_article.url -->

</div> <!-- articleBreadcrumb -->
{{/if}} <!-- if category_breadcrumbs -->

{{loop days}}

<div class="dayArticles">
<div class="postDate"><span class="bracket">[</span>{{date.day_name}}, {{date.month_name}} {{date.day}}<span class="bracket">]</span></div>

{{loop articles}}
<div class="article">
<div class="articleTitle">

{{if title}}
{{title}}
{{else}}
Untitled
{{/if}}
</div>

{{publish_time.month_name}} {{publish_time.day}}, {{publish_time.year}} {{publish_time.hour}}:{{publish_time.min}}{{publish_time.ampm}} ({{publish_time.zone}})
</div>

<div class="articleStats">
Comments: <a href="{{view_url}}#comments">{{num_comments}}</a>

{{if allow_trackbacks}}
&nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; Trackbacks:
<a href="{{view_url}}#trackbacks">{{num_trackbacks}}</a>
{{/if}} <!-- allow_trackbacks -->

&nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; <a href="{{view_url}}">Show Details</a>
&nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; <a href="{{permalink_url}}">#</a>
</div> <!-- articleStats -->

<div class="articleBody">
{{excerpt}}<br>
<div class="articleMore"><a href="{{view_url}}" align="right" border="0" width="13" height="13">read more</a>&nbsp;<span style="font-weight:bold;">&raquo;</span></div>
</div> <!-- articleBody -->

</div> <!-- article -->

{{/loop}} <!-- articles -->
</div> <!-- dayArticles -->
{{/loop}} <!-- days -->
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle93815 wrote:
I'll go ahead and post my altered code. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Unless you altered something else in your code, I am not sure this would be due to the template... Why don't you post your blog URL or send it to us as a support request so we can look at your blog to see what is happening.
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took me so long to get back here, but I dozed off yesterday..haha. It turned out that I was editing Alt1, whatever that is, instead of Standard.

That is why the code I pasted looked different. As soon as I edited Standard, everything worked like I wanted it to.

I thought I would post in case someone else ever has the same problem, or in case someone else is also a bonehead.

Thanks John.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle, don't be so hard on yourself, you'll be a Power User in no time! Thanks for documenting the trip, I am sure that some other folks will find it useful.
sgarfield

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: posted by instead of by Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to do a similar thing.

I want to have 'posted by' instead of 'by' on all my posts. It looks like I need to edit my article and category style sheet, but all I see are templates.

Is my Article Stylesheet = Article template?

When I click to edit it, I get a page that asks, "Copy a pre-defined style to your staging area:"

Can you point me in the direction of instructions for changing the style sheet or just give me a pointere that I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks,
--Steve
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: posted by instead of by Reply with quote

Yes, I think earlier in this thread someone might have referred to the article stylesheet but it's really the article template.

To make the change you want, you'll need to modify the article and category templates. The article template controls what the article looks like when its displayed by itself as the Permanent Link, and the category template controls what the list of articles looks like in category view.

To modify the article template for example:
  1. Login to your Blog Admin Control Panel through the Login page.
  2. Click on the Look and Feel tab, then the Templates subtab.
  3. Now you see a list of the Templates you can customize. We are going to customize the article template, which controls the look of an article when it appears by itself (on its permanent link) and not on a category page, so click Edit in the row that begins with the word article.
  4. Now you'll be on a page listing the current article templates (there will probably be only one). Go all the way to the bottom of the page and click the Customize button.
  5. Almost there: Click the Go button to Copy the Standard template to the staging area. You'll come to the page where you can customize the article template.

Look at the Staging Template Content box, the lower box, and look for this code:

Code:
by
{{if author}}
{{else}}
   Anonymous
{{/if}}
 on {{publish_time.month_name}} {{publish_time.day}}, {{publish_time.year}} {{publish_time.hour}}:{{publish_time.min}}{{publish_time.ampm}} ({{publish_time.zone}})
</div>

and change it to this:

Code:
Posted by
{{if author}}
{{else}}
   Anonymous
{{/if}}
</div>

Click the Save and Activate button at the bottom of the page. Repeat this process for your category template and you're all done.

MIght seem a little clunky at first, but you'll soon see how you can customize the structure of articles and category lists to look any way you want them to...

Last edited by john on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgarfield

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

Thanks!

That worked great.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: