BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2 and 3 column layouts; change color of the outer columns?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: 2 and 3 column layouts; change color of the outer columns? Reply with quote

I've been using a 2 column layout for awhile and recently switched to 3 columns. In order to make the article text stand out a little better, I'd like to edit my templates so that the left and right columns use a faint blue or faint grey background color. Question Is that possible? What changes would I need to make to my stylesheet?
abacquer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2 and 3 column layouts; change color of the outer column Reply with quote

abacquer wrote:
I've been using a 2 column layout for awhile and recently switched to 3 columns. In order to make the article text stand out a little better, I'd like to edit my templates so that the left and right columns use a faint blue or faint grey background color. Question Is that possible? What changes would I need to make to my stylesheet?

Figured it out. If anybody else wants to change the color of their outer columns, you'll want to edit the classes "table.columns td.left" and "table.columns td.right" in their style sheet. All you'll want to change is the background-color attribute. Here's how mine looked after editting to get pale grey left and right columns:

Code:
table.columns td.left {
    vertical-align: top;
    width: 20%;
    height: 100%;
    padding: 0 12px 15px 12px;
    background-color: #f9f9f9;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    color: #666;
    border-right: 1px solid #dedede;
}

table.columns td.right {
    vertical-align: top;
    width: 20%;
    padding: 0 12px 15px 12px;
    height: 100%;
    background-color: #f9f9f9;
    border-left: 1px solid #dedede;
    border-collapse: collapse;
}

You can see the end result on my blog. I think it looks pretty good and helps distinguish the outer columns from the article. I'm using the "Antique" template which puts everything on a white background, other templates may differentiate the outer columns better and may not need to do this.

blue #F9F9FF
green #F9FFF9
pink #FFF9F9
yellow #FFFFF9
cyan #F9FFFF
magenta #FFF9FF
lavender #F9F0FF
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: