BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Godaddy Domain Name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Godaddy Domain Name Reply with quote

Hi John,

I need some help - I read your article http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2003/11/27/7410.html#dns
which describes how to Use a 'Custom Domain Name for your Blog Address'.

When I go into godaddy - I try to change custom name server to user.blogware.com and it comes back and tells me there is an error detected.

Did I mis-intrepret the article?

Liana
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Godaddy Domain Name Reply with quote

Did I mis-intrepret the article?

Yes, you did misinterpret the article but I will be happy to clarify. That article gives you three options for setting your domain name as the blog address; the options are as follows:
  1. Use the DNS services of the service through which you registered the domain
  2. Use a third-party DNS service
  3. Allow us to do your DNS service

In the first option, you would be creating a CNAME record in your current nameservers, you would not be changing your nameservers. You'd create a CNAME record for your desired blog address like www.example.com aliasing that hostname to the users.blogware.com hostname. You're creating an entry in your nameservers, not changing the nameservers which tell the Internet where to find services related to your domain...

Only in the second and third options would you actually change your nameservers...

I just posted the steps to configuring a CNAME at Go Daddy, please take a look at it and let us know if those steps are successful for you.
lianag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I registered the domain name with Godaddy and when i go to the manage domains I dont have that setting option.

I am guessing I need to choose either option2 or 3.

I just have the name registered there.

Can you please tell me what to do?

Thanks
Liana
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered the domain name with Godaddy and when i go to the manage domains I dont have that setting option.

The options we refer to in the How to use a Custom Domain Name for your Blog Address article are your options, not GoDaddy's...

As I said, if you want to use your Go Daddy registered domain name, please follow the steps to configuring a CNAME at Go Daddy instructions I just posted for you and if you have any problem with the steps there please let us know on that thread.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: