BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to configure a domain registered at Go Daddy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: How to configure a domain registered at Go Daddy Reply with quote

I recently added a CNAME record at GoDaddy for one of our customers and took notes on the steps that were required. If you follow the instructions in this post, you should be able to set a CNAME record as explained in our How to Use a Custom Domain Name for your Blog Address article. Adding a CNAME is Method 1, Add a CNAME record to your DNS as hosted by your current domain name registration provider.

Before you begin, I suggest that you set up Domain Forwarding to your current *.blogharbor.com address. Go Daddy doesn't allow you to set a CNAME record for your domain name itself (like http://example.com ), only for a hostname such as http://www.example.com ), so by initially configuring Domain Forwarding you overcome that limitation.

Once that's done, these are the steps I followed to set a CNAME record:

1. Login to your Go Daddy account.

2. You will be presented with a list of options. Choose Manage Domains.

3. Click on the domain name you want to manage from your list of domains.

4. Scroll down and on the left side of the page you will see a link to Total DNS Control and MX Records. Click on this link.

5. A link to Total DNS Control And MX Records will appear, click it and a new window labeled DNS Manager will pop up.

6. Look for the table of CNAMES (Aliases). Find the row for the Alias of www which Points to @. Click on Edit (pencil icon) at the end of that row.

7. The CNAMES (Aliases) Record Wizard will appear. Step 1 is already correct, it says to Enter an Alias Name and that is already filled in with www which is correct. Step 2 Enter Points To Host Name needs to be changed from its current value of @ to users.blogware.com . After updating that field, click Continue.

8. Now you're seeing the verification page and it should lok like this:

Code:
             Verify Alias Name Information
                Alias Name Value               www    

Verify Points To Host Name Information
                Points To Host Name Value      users.blogware.com    

Verify Time To Live Information
                TTL Value                      1 Hour

Click the OK button.

9. A message will appear containing this text:

Quote:
    Updated CName (Aliases) Record Successfully! Please allow approximately 24-48 hours for the DNS to propagate on the Internet.

Click OK to close the window, you're done adding the CNAME at Go Daddy.

10. Contact us and let us know your domain name, your current blog address, and that you have completed these steps and we will enable your blog to use the domain address.

Please let me know if you have success or failure following these steps!

Last edited by john on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
lianag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Go Daddy Domain Name Reply with quote

John,

I logged into my Go Daddy Account
I chose Manage Domains
I clicked on the domain name I wished to change.

There is nothing on the right hand side of the page - that says Total DNS Control - on the right hand side of my screen I have:

Hosting:
Not hosted here
Manage Hosting Accounts (which is a link)

and then below that - information on my email addresses

any clues?

Liana

On the right side of the page you will see a link to Total DNS Control. Click the [+] icon next to Total DNS Control.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Go Daddy Domain Name Reply with quote

There is nothing on the right hand side of the page - that says Total DNS Control - on the right hand side of my screen I have:

Hosting:
Not hosted here

If your domain is listed at GoDaddy as Not hosted here , then that means that Go Daddy does not host your domain, therefore they do not do your DNS for you... I assume you had some ISP hosting your domain name?

Seems like you have a unique situation... Contact us and let us know what the domain name is, if you are going to use an address like www.example.com or blog.example.com, if you want to keep some aspects of your current hosting situation, such as if you are using mail services at the current host and want to retain those mail services...

If you just want to drop your current host and use none of their services, you can remove their nameservers as listed in the Go Daddy control panel and revert to the default Go Daddy nameservers. That should allow you to use the instructions I posted to create a CNAME record.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: