BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colincolenso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

I've read this thread about wrapping text around images in posts using iframes: http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?t=2004

but it didn't help me.

I want to place the youtube video on the left, with description text to the right of it. When I try this, the text only appears at the bottom right of the video. So how can I make the text shift up and fill all the space to the right of the video?

Another related question:
I'd like to set up a link beside to video to open it in a new window in a larger size format for easier viewing. I could do this by creating an entirely separate page in the blog each time, but I wondered if there is an easier way. Any tips?

Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

I want to place the youtube video on the left, with description text to the right of it. When I try this, the text only appears at the bottom right of the video. So how can I make the text shift up and fill all the space to the right of the video?

Typically you would see code from Youtube that starts with something like this:

Code:
<object width="425" height="350">

Change it to add the float attribute as a style, like this:

Code:
<object width="425" height="350" style="float:right; padding: 6px;">

to have the image right aligned and the text flow to the left. Change it to this:

Code:
<object width="425" height="350" style="float:left; padding: 6px;">

if you want the image on the left and the text to the right.

I'd like to set up a link beside to video to open it in a new window in a larger size format for easier viewing. I could do this by creating an entirely separate page in the blog each time, but I wondered if there is an easier way. Any tips?

I don't think that's something specifically supported by Youtube so there's nothing we can do to make it any easier for you... I know the Google Video player has a full screen button to enable this right in the player, but I don't think there's a way to make this happen for Youtube videos.
colincolenso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

Thanks John,
I can see that is trying to work, but isn't quite.

It looks fine in my edit screen, but when I save it the page appears the same as before with text at the bottom of the image.

Maybe I am putting the code into the worng place. This is my test code:
Code:
<OBJECT><PARAM><PARAM>
<embed></embed></OBJECT>Title: Test position

oops...should look like this
<OBJECT style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" height=350 width=425><PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vu-4gKhaBzY"><PARAM NAME="wmode" VALUE="transparent">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vu-4gKhaBzY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT>Title: Test position

On the second issue, there is no problem making a large youtube screen. All you do is change the screen size within the same proportion. I did one on this page with youtube screen size 518 x 629.
http://www.cue-tv.com/blog/_WebPages/TestLargeVideoWebpage.html

I'm just wondering if I can automate this somehow so I don't have to create a whole new webpage for each video, or make it pop up in a new window. Any suggestions appreciated.

Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

It looks fine in my edit screen, but when I save it the page appears the same as before with text at the bottom of the image.

Can you point us to a specific URL you are referring to now? It's very diffucult to help with theoretical web design issues, showing us the URL for something you are having trouble with is pretty much required...

I'm just wondering if I can automate this somehow so I don't have to create a whole new webpage for each video, or make it pop up in a new window. Any suggestions appreciated.

I think I've given all the help on that topic I can give you, I don't see an easy way for you to accomplish this. Youtube simply does not provide you with the ability to do this. If you find someone on the web with an example of exactly what you are looking for, please feel free to post the URL and I will be happy to look at it to see how they have done it.
colincolenso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

Here's the URL:
http://www.cue-tv.com/blog/PoolLegends/_archives/2006/10/30/2459483.html

Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

And the problem is what exactly? The video is specified to float left, and it's indeed floating to the left of the text... What's the problem?
colincolenso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

john wrote:
And the problem is what exactly? The video is specified to float left, and it's indeed floating to the left of the text... What's the problem?

Well the text is only appearing at the bottom beside the object.

Oh...I just tried my page in Firefox and it looks fine.

It wasn't working properly in Maxthon for some reason. Maybe requires a re-start.

Thanks for your help.
Colin

Edit: Note. I've restarted by computer and having the same problem. Doesn't work in IE as well. Only firefox is working for me with this code.
colincolenso

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

John,
Just thought I should bump this so you can see the additional info I edited in above.

Any ideas regarding this code not working in the IE browser?

Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

IE has always had quirks regarding its CSS parsing. Not a problem with the Youtube and not a problem on our side, just something with the way IE interprets CSS.

Try wrapping the Youtoob code in a DIV like this:

Code:
<div style="float:left; padding: 6px;">
youtoob code
</div>

I think that will work for you....
colincolenso

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapping Text around Youtube Objects? Reply with quote

john wrote:
IE has always had quirks regarding its CSS parsing. Not a problem with the Youtube and not a problem on our side, just something with the way IE interprets CSS.

Try wrapping the Youtoob code in a DIV like this:

[code]<div style="float:left; padding: 6px;">
youtoob code
</div>/code]

I think that will work for you....

That seems to be working....thanks John! Very Happy

Colin
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: