BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
STOP helping me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: STOP helping me... Reply with quote

I'd like BlogHarbor to stop rewriting my HTML for me. Turning off the Rich Text Editor doesn't help Is there any way to get it to stop doing that?

I find that every time a site produces HTML to display something on my blog (like quiz results or wehatever), it almost never works because as soon as I save the article (or switch from source to display view) the html gets rewritten.

I want full control over my HTML, even *after* I hit save. Is there any way to turn off the "smarts"?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: STOP helping me... Reply with quote

If you could send us or post some code that we could use to try and duplicate this with, as well as the steps to reproduce this, we'd be glad to look into it further.

When you say "turning off the Rich Text Editor doesn't help", are you actually turning it off from the control panel? Go to Settings & Security > Advanced in the blog control panel, then look for the "Enable rich-text editor" checkbox. Uncheck the box and click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page.

The Rich Text Editor is going to have problems with embedded Javascript unfortunately, as well as occasionally OBJECTs and EMBEDs... Since the Rich Text Editor is itself built in Javascript, there are some raw HTML codes which it chokes on. But you should be able to turn the RTE off and use the simple text editor instead and be able to enter these troublesome codes.

The Rich Text Editor is a fine tool to assist publishers in creating styled text without knowledge of HTML, but it will probably get in the way of more advanced users like yourself. Personally, I turn off the Rich Text Editor and use the simple editor instead. I use Firefox and installed the Xinha Here! extension to provide me with an on-demand WYSIWYG HTML editor which can be used on any textarea and textbox on any website. I published some instrucions here. (Yes, I realize you use IE and are not likely to respond positively to this suggestion, I am simply putting it here to help others who might see this thread and use Firefox. Wink ) That allows me to use a rich text editor that is admittedly more advanced than our own, but only when I need it...
abacquer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I turned it off as you indicate below. It doesn't matter. When I go back to edit my article I find the HTML has been "cleaned up" in some way which has caused it to break. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I'm positive I've seen this happen.

Yeah I just tested it. Rich text editor off, <b>my bold text</b> becomes <stong>my bold text</strong> when I save. So some process is rewriting my HTML in an attempt to standardize it or whatever. If I can display it on DreamWeaver with no issues, I really shouldn't have to change it to put it on my blog apart from dealing with CSS incompatibilities.

With the RTE turned on, I've seen closing tags get deleted and then moved to the end of the article, line break tags removed without me removing them, and various other screwups. As a result I have to be pretty ginger when editing my articles.

Today I was trying to post some HTML from a quiz page. I don't have the HTML myself, but feel free to take the quiz and get the HTML block to try out:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

I appreciate your desire to fix whatever cleans up the HTML, but that is exactly what I don't want. I want to turn that feature off, even if that means my posts have <i> and <b> in them instead of <em> and <strong>. Smile
abacquer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re:firefox

Laughing I primarily use IE, but I have FireFox and Mozilla on my box for testing out stuff on other browsers.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just tested it. Rich text editor off, <b>my bold text</b> becomes <strong>my bold text</strong> when I save.

I just tested this with Mac Firefox 1.5 and Mac Safari, and I can not replicate this... When I enter <b>my bold text</b> into the simple text editor and save the article, the code stays there and does not get converted to <strong>my bold text</strong>... It does not appear that it is our system doing this conversion. Let me find a PC and take a look...

OK, just tried with Win Firefox and it does not do any conversion, Win IE 6.0 - bingo! There's the problem... Looks like it is IE 6 which is doing the conversion... Yep. I don't have IE 7 installed anywhere here, so I can't say whether the problem occurs on that browser or not.

Not sure we're going to be able to do anything about this, IE 6 is just so buggy that trying to rewrite our editor to work around its problems is likely to cause even more problems. I'll point this out to our developers, but my suggestion here would simply be to stop using IE 6 to admin your blog to ensure that you can enter the raw HTML codes you need and not have them altered by the browser.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the Accent quiz picked me right out: Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey... Got me... Shocked
gristgal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with the RTE. Maybe it's because I'm still using Netscape 7.1 (but that should change Real Soon Now; I've asked for help elsewhere with some quirky problems), but it's awfully annoying.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's kind of surprising since Netscape 7.1 is in the Mozilla family of browsers (based on Mozilla 1.4) and not related to IE... In any case, this is a retired web browser and no longer supported by Netscape, so we won't be making any changes to our system to accomodate it. We suggest moving to a more modern browser such as Firefox.
abacquer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I'm not sure why IE would matter, but apparently it does. Embarassed Guess I owe you an apology, I had thought that all that stuff was being handled by BlogHarbor. So, I apologize.

Thanks for looking into it for me! Smile
gristgal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I found a way to keep it from messing me up, as it was taking whole blocks of text that were between links, and moving them to the end of the post, or sometimes just down a paragraph or two. As you can imagine, that was driving me craaaaazy (or crazier). Smile I input the post, minus all links and other modifications to any part of the text, and save it. I then go back and apply the individual mods. I've also had problems with link target specifications being flat ignored, if I stick all of them in at once, so I save in between each one (yes, it's very time consuming, but I can insert the link, and then the target, before saving, and it seems to do okay). That seems to work; at least it doesn't shift blocks of text anymore, and the link usually opens in the specified window. All the tedious effort with links is what has made me finally willing to change.

Of course there's no guarantee it will work for you, as I am unaware of any notable similarities between NS 7.1 and MSIE 6, but YNK. ISTM that the main issue is compliance, with Blogware being "strict" and disliking anything fed to it by browsers that aren't 100% XHTML compliant. It may give you a way to stick with your preferred browser. Wink

You probably know that I'm not a MS fan, but I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their choice in the matter. I've read that the new version of MSIE is more "compliant". It might just let you do your posts normally, without kludging your way through posting, or getting results that make you unhappy.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: