BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Commenter Names (Reader Accounts)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Commenter Names (Reader Accounts) Reply with quote

One of my readers has lost her reader account password, this morning she posted in a comment:

Quote:
I keep asking for my password to be sent to me, but I must have something wrong because I never get it. And I refuse to have some weird new name.

Why wouldn't she receive her password on request? I directed her to the page where you are supposed to report lost reader account passwords some time ago. Is there a way we can get a new password sent to her?

Also, minor note, sometimes people who show up with usernames in my comments, show up as "Anonymous" in the "recent comments" component. How is that possible?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Commenter Names (Reader Accounts) Reply with quote

Why wouldn't she receive her password on request?

The reasons that come to mind would be:
  • The email address associated with her reader account is not valid.
  • The email address associated with her reader account has a filter and the password message is getting caught there.
Ask her to access this page and enter the email address she thinks she used when she created her account...

Also, minor note, sometimes people who show up with usernames in my comments, show up as "Anonymous" in the "recent comments" component. How is that possible?

Now that its possible for a blog publisher to allow anonymous (or more properly, unauthenticated) users to leave their name, URL and email address with a comment, you may have users who leave a comment but who have not logged in with a reader account at the blog. Since you have Anonymous commenting enabled, some of your commenters simply do not have accounts and thus the Recent Comments component sees them as anonymous.
abacquer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, yes I'm aware that I have anonymous commenting turned on (after all, I turned it on), but I was not aware that anonymous users could now leave a name when they comment which shows up in the "by" line under the comment subject.

That's a great feature! Thanks.

It explains why they're showing up with names in the bylines but not the recent comments. Is the unauthenticated byline name a retrievable data item? Can I modify my "recent comments" component to display it?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It explains why they're showing up with names in the bylines but not the recent comments. Is the unauthenticated byline name a retrievable data item?

It turns out that it is...

Can I modify my "recent comments" component to display it?

The original thread on modifying your Recent Comments component was here. You should be able to test for the existence of the contact_name variable to see if someone has left their contact name, maybe something along these lines:

Code:
{{if author}}
    by <a href="javascript:openWindow('{{view_user_url}}', 'info', 450, 600);">{{var name=author escape=html}}</a> at {{publish_time}}
{{else}}
  {{if contact_name}}
     by {{contact_name}} at {{publish_time}}
  {{else}}
     by Anonymous at {{publish_time}}
  {{/if}}
{{/if}}
abacquer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I tried that and comments left by unauthenticated users show up with their contact name in my recent comments component. Looks great! Very Happy You sir, are a steely-eyed missile man. Wink
abacquer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Commenter Names (Reader Accounts) Reply with quote

john wrote:
Ask her to access this page and enter the email address she thinks she used when she created her account...

Hey John,

My reader got back to me. She went to that page and tried every e-mail address she has with no luck:

Quote:
No password. I have no idea what email account I could've been using -- it's possible it no longer exists. I don't suppose they could tell you what email account is attached to the username "Maggie"?

If it is possible to do so, can I just send you her current e-mail address so you can fix the reader account to point to it?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Commenter Names (Reader Accounts) Reply with quote

You can send us a reader account username and current e-mail address and we'll see what we can do for you.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: